Issues with NVIDIA drivers on HP 8540w
I have recently had many issues with my HP 8540W and NVIDIA drivers both on Windows 7 and Windows 8 – the issues varied from having black outs to getting blue screens with errors such as WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
I think (yes – only think) I was able to overcome this issue. All you have to do is follow couple of simple steps – ever since I have done this all my issues are gone.
- Before you install the drivers, go to power options and click on “Change plan settings” on any power plan
- Click on “Change advanced power settings”
- For each power option (in the dropdown list) disable the “Link State Power Management” options (on battery and plugged in) under PCI Express – make sure you change this for all power options in the dropdown list (balanced, high performance, power saver and any others that are available)
- Install the latest NVIDIA Drivers
- After installing the drivers and before rebooting, for each power option disable the “NVIDIA Display Power Saving technology” under Display for both “On battery” and “Plugged in” options – make sure you change this for all power options in the dropdown list (balanced, high performance, power saver and any others that are available)
- Reboot and enjoy
Just a quick note – I was able to test these steps and the result was success both on my and couple of other systems. Follow them at your own risk but before you do, make sure you have a good working image backup of your system just in case you want to undo the changes.