Selecting the right Virtualization Technology
Microsoft has released IPD guide for Selecting the right Virtualization Technology.
The Selecting the Right Virtualization Technology guide enables you to rapidly and accurately select which Microsoft virtualization technology or technologies to use for specific scenarios. There are several different forms of virtualization that need to be understood as a basis for making the right technology choice. This guide addresses the decision steps that need to be taken in order to select the best virtualization approach for specific application requirements. The most effective decision points in the sequence are presented for determining which virtualization technology should be used. When considering virtualization for multiple applications, you should iterate through the entire process individually for each type of application.
In addition to this, documents on System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 are now available.
Following documents are now available to help you to Plan, design and deploy SCVMM 2008 R2.
- Virtual Machine Manager Deployment Guide: This guide provides information essential for the successful deployment of VMM 2008 and VMM 2008 R2. The topics in this guide provide detailed information about system requirements, installing VMM, upgrading or migrating from a previous version, and additional deployment and configuration information.
- Virtual Machine Manager Guide to Operations Manager Integration: This guide provides information essential for the successful integration of System Center Operations Manager 2007 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Operations Manager 2007 R2 with System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2008 or VMM 2008 R2. The topics in this guide provide system and security requirements, detailed procedures for performing a successful integration, and troubleshooting for integration issues, whether you are a new VMM customer or you previously integrated Operations Manager with VMM 2008 or VMM 2008 R2 Beta. Procedures also are provided for enabling Performance and Resource Optimization (PRO) and configuring reporting in VMM. A successful Operations Manager integration is a prerequisite for both the PRO and reporting configurations.
- Virtual Machine Manager Security Guide: This guide provides the information needed to successfully configure security for VMM 2008 and VMM 2008 R2. Topics include security basics (role-based security, ports and protocols used by VMM, and account requirements for administrative tasks); instructions for hardening the VMM server, database server, virtual machine hosts, library servers, and self-service Web servers against unauthorized access; domain and account requirements for integrating System Center Operations Manager 2007 with VMM; and security requirements for managing a VMware environment by using VMM.
- Virtual Machine Manager Operations Guide: This guide provides information essential for the successful configuration of VMM 2008 and VMM 2008 R2. For new customers, this guide explains how to configure the required and optional features of VMM after setup. The guide also provides information about creating, managing, and migrating virtual machines; performing maintenance on virtual machines, their hosts, and the VMM server; and managing a VMware Infrastructure 3 (VI3) environment by using VMM.
- Virtual Machine Manager Scripting Guide: This guide provides an overview of the Windows PowerShell – Virtual Machine Manager command shell and sample scripts that explain how to use Windows PowerShell scripting to manage your virtual system infrastructure.
Let me know if you have any questions.