Getting started with silverlight
Disclaimer (6/18): I have been sending people to www.silverlight.net (the ultimate place for all things silverlight) and they have been coming back with “there is a lot, can you make recommendations for quick ramp-up” or “love the how-tos, but I want a little more on road-map, foundation and architecture” ..
Here is the "getting started" doc I had as of 5/20... [let me know what I have missed since]..
You must begin with ScottGu’s write-up on silverlight .
In parallel to watching probably 3 to 4 hours of video that he points to:
1. Run some of the gallery demos,
2. Download the run-time and tools from the Getting Started page.
To recap his suggested video list for Silverlight 1.0
- Deep Dive on Silverlight Media Integration
- Developing ASP.NET AJAX Controls with Silverlight
For Silverlight 1.1, I still recommending you look at #1 above to get a good sense of the core, and then add:
- Building Silverlight Applications using .NET (Part 1)
- Building Silverlight Applications using .NET (Part 2)
- Extending the Browser Programming Model with Silverlight -- despite the title, this is a must watch. integrating HTML and Silverlight via managed code is cool and very useful.
You should “play” with the technology in a safe sandbox ( your choices below) :
· Quickstarts for those less familiar with XAML and/or HTML and/or our tools
· if the quickstart navigation paradigm is not your thing, try the Mix hands-on labs (Keyword: silverlight, Type hands-on-labs; the HOLs code and files in doc format is here
Day 3 Build some thing from scratch. It is really not hard..
If needing a place to host it, try silverlight.live.com
If needing help, try the forums. Or try the questions I have stumped on myself at Silverlight FAQ (plus add yours to that FAQ please).
For tracking silverlight, here are the blogs that I read –apologies to any one I missed, do let me know you might be on my subscriptions in a different category (e.g. wpf or ajax) --.
Silverlight 1.0 and 1.1 team ( all things silverlight )
Mike Harsh (web rss)
Joe Stegman (web rss)
Ed Maia ( web rss )
Nick Kramer(web rss)
Ashish Shetty (web rss)
Dave Relyea (web rss)
Vivek Dalvi ( web rss )
Greg Schecter ( web rss )
Silverlight marketing/product mgmt
You can get the OPML attached...