VS SDK for Orcas Beta 1 (April CTP) is now available
What We Have Done
· All samples have now been updated to work with "Orcas" Beta 1, and have been converted (where appropriate) to use version 9.0 of the Managed Package Framework (MPF).
· SDK Tools have now been updated to use version 9.0 of the MPF. For more information, see the "Known Issues" section later in this readme.
· Command table configuration (.ctc) files have been deprecated in favor of XML command table (.vsct) files. All samples that used .ctc files have been converted to use .vsct files.
· A new property, UseVS2005MPF, has been added to enable the registration of packages that still use MPF 8.0. This property must be set to True in the project that builds the package.
· The Visual Studio Code Name “Orcas” SDK April 2007 CTP now works side-by-side with the Visual Studio 2005 SDK 4.0, provided that Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio "Orcas" Beta 1 are installed on the same computer.
· DSL Tools have been added back to this release. Changes to DSL Tools include the following:
Ø All editions of Visual Studio Code Name “Orcas” Beta 1 now include the DSL Tools runtime. This means you no longer need to redistribute the runtime with your designer. Microsoft delivers updates to the runtime as part of the standard Visual Studio update process. The DSL Setup project has been changed accordingly.
Ø In accordance with changes in the Visual Studio Code Name “Orcas” SDK, the .ctc files used to define elements of the user interface such as menu items have been replaced with .vsct files. Designer authors will need to update custom .ctc files accordingly. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb166366(VS.80).aspx for details.
Ø Instructions for migrating designers built using DSL Tools in the Visual Studio 2005 SDK to this release may be found in the DSL Tools readme.htm, which is located in <Visual Studio SDK installation path>\2007.04\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\DSLTools\.
· Visual Studio Code Name “Orcas” SDK April 2007 CTP must be installed together with Visual Studio “Orcas” Beta 1.
· Help Integration Wizard is not yet functional.
· Integration tests in C# Example.EditorWithToolbox and C# Reference.ComboBox samples are not yet functional.
· The following samples have some failing unit tests:
Ø C# Reference.ComboBox
Ø C# Example.NestedProject
Ø C# Example.BasicSccProvider
Ø C# Example.SccProvider
Ø C# Example.VSIDEHostAdapter sample unit test project has some build errors.
· Namespace.exe is not yet included in the Visual Studio Code Name “Orcas” SDK.
The new VS Orcas SDK Beta 1 online documentation will also be put on MSDN shortly. Stay tuned! As always, please let us know what you think of the product by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org.