Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2 available as a free download
Microsoft released the File Server Migration Toolkit version 1.2 (FSMT 1.2), which will help you migrate file shares from computers running Windows NT 4.0 Server, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Storage Server 2008 to computers running Windows 2003 Server, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Storage Server 2008. You can use it to consolidate multiple file servers or simply to migrate files between servers.
This is an update to the previous FSMT 1.1 that fixes an issue with Windows Server 2003 clusters. This version has also been tested with the Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate (full support for Windows Server 2008 R2 is expected and will become official after tests with the final release, which should be out later this year).
Here are the main benefits of FSMT:
- Simplifies the complex and error-prone migration process of SMB shares and data
- Maintains UNC paths and eliminates broken shortcuts and links
- Maintains security settings after the migration
- Consolidates shared folders with the same names from different servers
- Supports server clusters as source and target file servers
- Provides roll-back functionality
- Support for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Storage Server 2008
- Includes both the DFS Consolidation Root Wizard and the Dfsconsolidate.exe command-line tool
- Available in 5 languages (English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish)
Here’s a screenshot:
Download and test it today from
Also, be sure to also visit the FSMT Web Site at