Windows Azure Toolkits for Windows Phone 7, iOS and Android: new releases
Last week, Microsoft released the Windows Azure Toolkit for Android while at the same time providing an update release for the Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows Phone 7 and Windows Azure Toolkit for iOS (iPhone & iPad). The purpose of these toolkits is to make it easier for mobile device developers – across multiple device platforms – to build applications that use Windows Azure to run back-end services that power their device experiences. The toolkits include native libraries; project templates, sample applications, and documentation that make it easy for developers quickly get started build device applications that use Windows Azure.
- Full support for Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio 1.4 and Windows Developer Phone Tools 7.1 RC.
- Support for SQL Azure in the Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows Phone.
- First release of the Windows Azure Toolkit for Android, which includes native libraries (for storage and authentication), a sample application, and unit tests.
- Significant updates and restructuring of the Windows Azure Toolkit for iOS.
Looking for examples?
We shipped the full source code of BabelCam, which is now available in the Windows Phone Marketplace. This mobile application allows you to take a picture of text and turn it into characters while letting you translate into a different language at the same time – great for trying to understand foreign restaurant menus! BabelCam was initially created as a sample for a presentation at MIX 11. Iit is a good demo is that it uses a number of services, including Windows Azure web and worker roles, Windows Azure storage (blobs, tables, and queues), the Microsoft Push Notification Service, Project Hawaii’s OCR Service, and the Bing Translator.
For more details, please refer to the following posts:
- The Official Microsoft Blog: Microsoft Releases the Windows Azure Toolkit for Android
- Windows Phone Developer Blog: Building Windows Phone Applications Using Windows Azure
- Windows Azure Team Blog: NOW AVAILABLE - Windows Azure Toolkit for Android
- Wade Wegner’s Blog: Windows Azure Toolkits for Devices: Now With Android!
- You can also watch this video on Channel 9: https://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Windows-Azure-Toolkit-for-Devices-Now-With-Android