Update Rollup for the Hyper-V Role – Important if you are running Nehalem 5500 CPU's
So, I logged into my lab this morning to once again find that BOTH of my Hyper-V server’s had restarted because of a blue screen issue.
This is what I saw:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.274.10
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
These are HP Server’s running dual Intel Xeon 5520 Nehalem CPU’s.
Ah, what to do…
- I download the x64 Debugger Tool and install that. I need to see what the dump says about this issue…
- After the install, click START and type “windbg” and run that application
- The first thing you’ll want to do there is point the debugger to the symbols path by using FILE –> SYMBOL FILE PATH. Use this URL: http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
- After that, you get to open the minidump file. Windows typically sticks them in the \windows\minidump folder unless you change it.
- Click FILE –> OPEN CRASH DUMP
- Browse to the location of the dump file you want to examine and open
- It will take a minute for it to complete, be patient. :)
Now, when I first ran this on my server – it came up with this:
Make sure you click the link to ANALYZE –V to get detailed debugging information. In my case, this came up:
So, now I know the issue.
If your servers are set for automatic updates – you’re probably OK. In my lab, I had them set for manual updates and I hadn’t done anything since sometime in June. There is a very recent rollup that addresses this specific issue. I just patched my machine (after running WU, the rollup package was in the list) and hopefully we’re done with this.
Another option is to install the SP1 Beta – the rollup is in there as well.