The Subscription Settings service and corresponding application and proxy needs to be running in order to make changes to these settings.



This is the nice screen I got when I wanted to finalize the configuration of a blank SharePoint 2013 development environment at the customer that was already “partially prepared”. Even if I was quite sure I checked those to see if they were running. I checked again:

Looking in the Manage Services Screen:


Going to System Settings – Manage Services on this Server


Seems like everything is running. So where does this come from? As I am so used to follow the Technet blog post (and that this step is a little bit less obvious when fastscrolling through the page), it took a while to realize we are missing a service application. Even though the Subscription Settings Service is running, there is no corresponding Service Application. This service application can only be created in PowerShell:

Get-SPManagedAccount COMICS\
$appPool = New-SPServiceApplicationPool -Name SubscriptionServiceAppPool -Account $account
$serviceApp = New-SPSubscriptionSettingsServiceApplication -ApplicationPool $appPool -name "Subscription Settings Service Application" -DatabaseName "SP2013DEV-SubscriptionSettingsDB"
$serviceAppProxy = New-SPSubscriptionSettingsServiceApplicationProxy -ServiceApplication $serviceApp

Once this is done, you should see it pop up in your service applications:


Now we are able to set up our app domain Smile