webapi 2.2 and T4 release announcement
I am very excited to announce the availability of nightly builds on MyGet for ASP.NET Web API 2.2 for OData v4.0 along with T4 template support for writing OData v4 clients. The Web API 2.2 release is particularly noteworthy as it is the first Web API release with support for OData v4 with selected highly demanded features. For a summary of what’s new in OData v4.0, please visit What’s New in OData v4.
What’s New in ASP.NET Web API 2.2 for OData v4.0
1. Protocol and format changes from V3 to V4.
2. OData attribute routing: This release allows you to define the routes in your controllers and actions using attributes.
3. Support for functions: This release allows you to define functions in your OData model and bind them to actions in your controller that implement them.
4. Model aliasing: This release allows to change the names of the types and properties in your OData model to be different than the ones in your CLR types.
5. Support for limiting allowed queries: This feature release the service to define limitations on the properties of the model that can be filtered, sorted, expanded or navigated across.
6. Support for ETags: This release allows to generate an @odata.etag annotation based on some properties of the entity that can be used in IfMatch and IfNoneMatch headers in following requests.
7. Support for Enums: Improved our support for Enums and now we support them as OData enumerations.
8. Support for $format: Added support for $format, so clients are able to specify the desired format of the response in the URL.
Where to get it
It is now available at ASP.NET Web API 2.2 for OData v4.0 on MyGet. We recommend version v5.2.0-alpha1-140307 as a good place to start kicking the tires or go ahead and try the latest greatest. Please refer to the instructions on how to use nightly builds on our CodePlex site.
We have provided a comprehensive list of OData v4.0 service samples to accelerate your own v4.0 service implementation. They are available at https://aspnet.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#Samples/WebApi/OData/v4/
T4 Template to Support V4 OData Spec
1. OData 4.0 Spec: This release is able to generate C# and VB .NET client-side proxy classes to consume a OData V4 service.
2. Enum Support: This release supports generating the codes of enum values and properties for OData Client library.
3. Singleton Support: This release supports generating the codes of singleton values. You could now compose a LINQ query using singletons values.
We support the Professional, Premium, and Ultimate versions of Visual Studio 2010, 2012, 2013.
Where to get it
Blog and Tutorial
Call to Action
If you has an existing OData service or is considering adding an OData service or migrating your V3 service to V4, now is an excellent time to engage with us.