The access control list on 12templatelayoutsweb.config could not be modified when installing 941422
We ran across this while installing the KB941422 hotfix on a brand new farm :
[SPManager] [ERROR] : The access control list on C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\template\layouts\web.config could not be modified because the path could not be located in the file system.
[SPManager] [ERROR] : at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProvisioningAssistant.ResetAcl(FileSystemInfo fi, Boolean append)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServer.ResetAcl(FileSystemInfo fi, Boolean append)
To be complete,
- the hotfix was installed all the farm servers and we had ran the wizard up to the OK button for all servers;
- We did follow up on pressing OK on the server hosting the Central Administration and it finished successfully;
- When we did the first front-end, we got the error;
- For some reason, the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\template\layouts\web.config was indeed missing (go figure) and we simply copied it from the Central Administration server;
- We then ran the Wizard (GUI) again and it worked fine.
If the GUI Wizard wouldn't work fine, you could run the following as well :
- psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -wait
- psconfig -cmd services -install
- psconfig -cmd installfeatures
- psconfig -cmd secureresources
For other issues when installing hotfix, especially 934525, check Bill's post at : http://blogs.technet.com/wbaer/archive/2007/10/15/kb934525-troubleshooting.aspx.