Uninstallation of MED-V component does not remove all configuration files
After uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization, you may notice one of more of the following symptoms:
- Errors relating to previous corruption in configuration remain.
- Old Policies remain.
- Errors reading the XML configuration such as:
Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Failed reading the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization\Servers\ConfigurationServer\ClientSettings.xml. Please make sure it exists and contains valid Xml data.
at Kidaro.Servers.ServersService.OnStart(String args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
The reason this can happen is because when the MED-V server component is uninstalled, some lingering configuration files might remain. This can cause problems with reinstallation especially if the install location is changed (e.g. from the C: drive to the D: drive).
To resolve this, the following files will need to be removed manually when doing a full uninstallation of the MED-V Server:
- %PROGRAMFILES\Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization\Servers\ServerSettings.xml
- %PROGRAMFILES\Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization\Servers\ConfigurationServer\ClientPolicy.xml
- %PROGRAMFILES\Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization\Servers\ConfigurationServer\ClientSettings.xml
- %PROGRAMFILES\Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization\Servers\ConfigurationServer\OrganizationPolicy.xml
Note: If you are wanting to preserve configuration settings, then you will want to keep these files.
Steve Thomas | Senior Support Escalation Engineer