Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications is not affected by Shellshock
Greetings, users of Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA). I'm the technical writer for SUA, which was deprecated in the Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 timeframe.
This is just a quick post to let you know (because customers have been concerned about SUA and the Shellshock vulnerability in Bash) that SUA is not affected by Shellshock. SUA and its associated SDK do not include Bash, and installing SUA does not install Bash.
For more information about Shellshock, I've collected the following links for you. But again, SUA is not affected by Shellshock.
- Shellshock makes Heartbleed look insignificant, ZDNet
- Shellshock: What you need to know about the Bash vulnerability, Slate
- Still more vulnerabilities in Bash? Shellshock becomes whack-a-mole, Ars Technica
- Bourne-Again Shell (Bash) Remote Code Execution Vulnerability, U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT)
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Shellshock Bash flaws, Redhat Security Blog
Thanks for reading.
Technical Writer, Cloud and Enterprise