Scareware and Malvertising
Scareware, also known as rogue security software, is a fake ad for security software. It is designed to trick consumers and business users into downloading malicious software to their computers.
Rogue security software might report a virus, when the machine is actually clean. The software might also fail to report viruses when the computer is infected. This malicious software can also:
- Lure users into fraudulent transactions when upgrading to a “paid version” of the original free software
- Use social engineering to steal personal information
- Launch pop-up windows with false alerts
- Slow the computer and corrupt files
- Disable Windows updates or updates to legitimate antivirus software
- Prevent the computer from accessing antivirus vendor sites
Microsoft is addressing malvertising by filing civil lawsuits against companies who allegedly create these fake ads:
How can you improve Mobile Security?
Join this session to learn how Windows Mobile, combined with System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008, provides a comprehensive solution for mobile device security and management.
IT Manager Webcast: Windows Mobile Series: Improving Mobile Security and Management
Security Compliance Management Toolkit Series
The Security Compliance Management Toolkit Series gives you best practices and automated tools to help strengthen the security of clients and servers running Windows XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Office 2007. This free Solution Accelerator lets you fine-tune deployments of Windows operating systems and applications quickly and reliably, balancing needs for security and functionality.
The Solution Accelerator provides the following:
- Prescriptive, tested, end-to-end security guidance for Windows Vista SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 SP2, and 2007 Microsoft Office SP1.
- Automated tools like the GPOAccelerator to help you configure and deploy recommended security settings.
- Configuration Packs for you to use with the desired configuration management (DCM) feature of System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1. You can also remediate security baseline issues with this functionality.
- Reporting functionality you can use to notify auditors that the computers in your environment are in compliance with best practices and the security recommendations for these Windows operating systems and Office applications.
Please visit this link to download the Security Compliance Management Toolkit: