SQL Updates Newsletter - February 2016
Recent Releases and Announcements
- Cumulative Update 12 for SQL Server 2014 RTM
- Cumulative Update 5 for SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1
- On-demand hotfix update package for SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 Cumulative Update 4
- SQL Server 2016 Community Technology Preview (CTP) 3.3 was released
- To experience the new, exciting features in SQL Server 2016 and the new rapid release model, download the preview or try the preview by using a virtual machine in Microsoft Azure
- Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-2016
- Azure VM: SQL Server 2016 CTP3 Evaluation on Windows Server 2012 R2 https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/partners/microsoft/sqlserver2016ctp3evaluationwindowsserver2012r2/
- SQL 2016 – It Just Runs Faster Announcement
- Announcing a new regular blog series outlining the vast range of scalability improvements in SQL Server 2016 which allow it to run across a wide array of hardware configurations, faster and better than previous releases of SQL Server
- Is your code ready for the leap year?
- Feb 2016 Certification Update - SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2014 is FIPS 140-2 compliant
- TLS 1.2 support for Microsoft SQL Server
- Information about the updates that Microsoft is releasing to enable TLS 1.2 support for SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, and SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server AlwaysOn Cluster Template updated with internal listeners and optimized performance
- Sign up now for March 10 live event introducing SQL Server 2016
- Hear directly from Microsoft executives and engineering
- The SQL Server team will also be posting more than 30 videos to help you learn about all of the new technical capabilities in SQL Server 2016
- Get SQL Server Express images in the Azure Gallery
- Added images for SQL Server Express with Tools 2014, 2012 and 2008R2 in the Azure Gallery were announced
- New security enhancements announced, including general availability of Microsoft Cloud App Security
- More security management and reporting options in Azure Security Center
- Microsoft Cloud App Security will become generally available in April 2016. It will also power new advanced security management capabilities built into Office 365 that will improve IT visibility and control.
- Customer Lockbox for SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business will begin rolling out early in the second quarter of this year.
- Cloud platform announcements
- Power BI desktop February update
- SQL Server Stretch Database | Public preview
- Microsoft Power BI gateway for enterprise deployments are generally available.
- The Power BI app for Windows 10 becomes available as a Windows 10 Universal app that can be installed and run on PCs, tablets and phones.
- Gartner positions Microsoft as a leader in BI and Analytics Platforms
- Announcing PowerShell v5 support in Azure Automation
- “To the Cloud” series: All episodes now available on TechNet Radio
- Free ebook: Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2016: Mission-Critical Applications, Deeper Insights, Hyperscale Cloud, Preview 2
- Try out SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services CTP 3.2 on the TechNet Virtual Lab
- Try SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services with new TechNet Virtual Labs
- An early look at Azure Stack and what it means for IT
Monthly Script Tips
- [Script Of Feb. 19] How to get job execution status in SQL Server http://blogs.technet.com/b/onescript/archive/2016/02/19/script-of-feb-19-how-to-get-job-execution-status-in-sql-server.aspx
Fany Carolina Vargas | SQL Dedicated Premier Field Engineer | Microsoft Services