How to remove “Open with (Windows) Explorer” button from Document Library’s Ribbon Menu
Recently I had come across a situation in which customer wanted to remove the “Open with (Windows) Explorer” button from the Document Library’s Ribbon Menu.
Following are the steps to remove this button from Ribbon
- Create an empty SharePoint 2010 Solution, you may give your favorite name to it
- Add a feature by right clicking on the Features in Solution Explorer
- Right click on the Project and add a new item, choose empty element and name it
- Open the Elements.xml file from the newly added item
- Copy & paste the following XML into the Elements.xml file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/"> <CustomAction Id="RemoveRibbonButton" Location="CommandUI.Ribbon"> <CommandUIExtension> <CommandUIDefinitions> <CommandUIDefinition Location="Ribbon.Library.Actions.OpenWithExplorer" /> </CommandUIDefinitions> </CommandUIExtension> </CustomAction> </Elements>
Deploy the Solution and observe that “Open with Explorer” button will be removed from the Ribbon.
Please check out Default Server Ribbon Customization Locations for more location details.