Visual Studio Code - NEW RELEASE: v0.10.5 - New Insider's Channel + 32 New Features/Updates!!!
We have a new December release!
First, the Visual Studio Code team would like to thank you with a personal note and information about closing bugs on GitHub. Please read that here:
Next, let's look at the new Insider's Channel feature so you can automatically get the prerelease builds!
There is now a setting to subscribe to the Insider's channel to get prerelease VS Code builds automatically. The setting is
update.channel and it defaults to
stable which is the current release build. Change the value to
insiders and restart VS Code to install prerelease builds. For more details, refer to How can I test prerelease versions of VS Code?.
List of the 32 New Features/Updates
*Marked with the asterisk and bolded, in the list below, these items were contributed in part or in whole by you, the community!
Next, here is a list of all 30 new features/updates:
- Insider's Channel - Get prerelease builds
- *Editor: Find/Replace improvements
- Changed defaults & key bindings
- *Editor: Cursor Blinking Options
- *Editor: Select Current Line Command
- *Editor: Scroll Viewport Commands
- Key Bindings for Numeric Keypad
- Improvements for non US standard keyboard layouts
- TypeScript Update to version 1.7.5
- JSX Support (on the road to adopting Salsa)
- Extension Debugging
- *Show Outdated Extensions
- Show Installed Extension Issues
- Extension Gallery Proxy Support
- Extension Deactivation
- File Picker improvements & Fuzzy Search
- Persisted Zoom Level
- Themes - Tweaks for consistency and missing colors
- Emmet support in JSX and TSX files
- Scoped Git Services - Open a sub-directory of a Git repository
- Git Status Bar Actions - Synchronize and Publish actions
- Debug Console Wraps Text
- Debug Breakpoints Polish - better visual display of breakpoints
- JSON Schema Contributions for extensions
- Language Server Extensions - language server protocol supports all available language features
- Node.js Debug Adapter Development - VS Code Debug Protocol & adapter default implementation available as npm modules
- Engineering Improvements - Integration for branches & pull requests (Travis CI for Linux & OSX, AppVeyor for Windows)
- Engineering Improvements - Tuning and documentation on how we do issue tracking and how we use the different feedback channels
- Engineering Improvements - Updated Electron to 0.34.5... with bug fix for blurry editor font on Linux
- Big Bug Fix - atom/node-oniguruma - Improve performance when colorizing long lines with multi-byte characters
Wow! Special thanks to the community for helping out with improvements! The team has been super busy and is going to take a well-deserved holiday break until January! And the truth is that a lot of the improvements above are actually small buckets with multiple updates in them!
Find the details of each improvement, plus the link to each GitHub pull for the community contributions... all that right here:
If you know any kids, you can give them the gift of a future career in technology!
Microsoft Small Basic is free and teaches kids a syntax-based language (the only one built for learners) and leads them into Visual Studio and the .NET stack (again, the only tool that does this):
- Download Microsoft Small Basic
- About Small Basic
- Unique Features of Small Basic
- 49 Small Basic Student Testimonies (age 8+)
- New Features: Lego Mindstorms, Kinect
- Small Basic Getting Started Guide
Thanks for stopping. Bye!
- Ninja Ed