"Do you want to download the converter?" when you try to open a file in Excel, Word or PowerPoint KB Article
Hello, this is Laura from the content team from Microsoft. We are seeing a lot of traffic to this KB article, Error message "Do you want to download the converter?" when you try to open a file in Excel, Word or PowerPoint https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967950
I can’t figure out why this article is getting so many hits, or what type of content that you are searching for. This is where I need your help, if this article didn’t fix your issue, please answer the following questions, and post your answers here.
Note: Your information will not be posted publicly and it will help us get the correct content or fix to help resolve the issues you are running into.
1.What version of Office Application are you using?
If unsure how to know what version of Office follow, the steps in this article, What version of Office am I using?
2. What version of Windows are you using?
If unsure how to know what version of Windows follow the steps in this article, Which Windows operating system am I running?
3. What type of file are you trying to open?
- In File Explorer record the name of the file, including the extension. Example: Test.doc, Test.xls, Test.docx
- If the extension is not showing see; How to show or hide file name extensions in Windows Explorer
4. What error message do you get when attempting to open the file? (Please record the exact error message)
5. Are you trying to open a file sent to you in email? (examples: open an attachment, double clicking on a file while in your email client.
6. Are you trying to open a file from a Cloud location? (example: OneDrive, DropBox, GoogleDrive, iCloud)
7. Any other information that you can provide that you feel would be beneficial.
Thanks for helping me collect this information!