Update the AKS on Azure Stack HCI host using Windows Admin Center
This article describes how to update the AKS on Azure Stack HCI core system to the latest version. For information on updating an AKS workload cluster, see update the Kubernetes version of AKS clusters.
There are several types of updates, which can happen independently from each other and in certain supported combinations:
- Update the AKS on Azure Stack HCI core system to the latest version.
- Update an AKS on Azure Stack HCI workload cluster to a new Kubernetes version.
- Update the container hosts of AKS workload clusters to a newer version of the operating system.
- Combined update of the operating system and Kubernetes version of AKS workload clusters.
All updates are done in a rolling update flow to avoid outages in AKS on Azure Stack HCI availability. When you bring a new node with a newer build into the cluster, resources move from the old node to the new node, and when the resources are successfully moved, the old node is decommissioned and removed from the cluster.
It's recommended to update AKS workload clusters immediately after updating the AKS host to prevent running unsupported container host OS versions or Kubernetes versions in your AKS workload clusters. If your workload clusters are on an old Kubernetes version, they are still supported, but you will not be able to scale your cluster.
Update the AKS on Azure Stack HCI host
To update the AKS on Azure Stack HCI host with Windows Admin Center, follow the steps below:
Update your Azure Kubernetes Service extension by navigating to Settings > Extensions > Installed Extensions, and then click Update. The latest available Azure Kubernetes Service extension version is 1.82.0. You do not need to complete this step if you have enabled auto-update for your extensions. However, make sure that you have version 1.82.0 of the AKS extension installed before proceeding to the next step.
On the Host settings page, select Update AksHci PowerShell module to version x.x.x under Updates available, and then click Update now.
You can now go back to the Windows Admin Center Connections page and connect to your Azure Stack HCI cluster.
Select the Azure Kubernetes Service tool from the Tools list. When the tool loads, you will see with the Overview page.
Select Updates from the page list on the left side of the tool, and then select Update now to upgrade your AKS host.
- The update process may stall if you navigate away from the update window when updating AKS on Azure Stack HCI.
- During the update process, if you receive an error that says Could not install updates, the current deployment cannot update to the latest version. To work around this error, run
Get-AksHciUpdatesin PowerShell and review the recommendations provided in the output.