Set up a profile editing flow in Azure Active Directory B2C
Before you begin, use the selector above to choose the type of policy you’re configuring. Azure AD B2C offers two methods of defining how users interact with your applications: through predefined user flows, or through fully configurable custom policies. The steps required in this article are different for each method.
Profile editing flow
Profile editing policy lets users manage their profile attributes, like display name, surname, given name, city, and others. The profile editing flow involves following steps:
- Sign-up or sign-in, with local or social account. If the session is still active, Azure AD B2C authorizes the user, and skips to the next step.
- Azure AD B2C reads the user profile from the directory, and let the user edit the attributes.
If you haven't already done so, register a web application in Azure Active Directory B2C.
Create a profile editing user flow
If you want to enable users to edit their profile in your application, you use a profile editing user flow.
- In the menu of the Azure AD B2C tenant overview page, select User flows, and then select New user flow.
- On the Create a user flow page, select the Profile editing user flow.
- Under Select a version, select Recommended, and then select Create.
- Enter a Name for the user flow. For example, profileediting1.
- For Identity providers, select Email sign-in.
- For User attributes, choose the attributes that you want the customer to be able to edit in their profile. For example, select Show more, and then choose both attributes and claims for Display name and Job title. Click OK.
- Click Create to add the user flow. A prefix of B2C_1 is automatically appended to the name.
Test the user flow
- Select the user flow you created to open its overview page, then select Run user flow.
- For Application, select the web application named webapp1 that you previously registered. The Reply URL should show
- Click Run user flow, and then sign in with the account that you previously created.
- You now have the opportunity to change the display name and job title for the user. Click Continue. The token is returned to
https://jwt.msand should be displayed to you.
Create a profile editing policy
Custom policies are a set of XML files you upload to your Azure AD B2C tenant to define user journeys. We provide starter packs with several pre-built policies including: sign-up and sign-in, password reset, and profile editing policy. For more information, see Get started with custom policies in Azure AD B2C.