Review access to Azure AD roles in Privileged Identity Management
Privileged Identity Management (PIM) simplifies how enterprises manage privileged access to resources in Azure Active Directory (AD) and other Microsoft online services like Office 365 or Microsoft Intune. Follow the steps in this article to successfully self-review your assigned roles.
If you are assigned to an administrative role, your organization's privileged role administrator may ask you to regularly confirm that you still need that role for your job. You might get an email that includes a link, or you can go straight to the Azure portal and begin.
If you're a privileged role administrator or global administrator interested in access reviews, get more details at How to start an access review.
Add a PIM dashboard tile
If you don't have the Azure AD Privileged Identity Management service pinned to your dashboard in your Azure portal, follow these steps to get started.
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
- Select your username in the upper right-hand corner of the Azure portal, and select the directory where you will you be operating.
- Select All services and use the Filter textbox to search for Azure AD Privileged Identity Management.
- Check Pin to dashboard and then click Create. The Privileged Identity Management application will open.
Approve or deny access
When you approve or deny access, you're just telling the reviewer whether you still use this role or not. Choose Approve if you want to stay in the role, or Deny if you don't need the access anymore. Your status won't change right away, until the reviewer applies the results. Follow these steps to find and complete the access review:
- In the Privileged Identity Management service, select Review privileged access. If you have any pending access reviews, they appear in the Azure AD Access reviews page.
- Select the review you want to complete.
- Unless you created the review, you appear as the only user in the review. Select the check mark next to your name.
- Choose either Approve or Deny. You may need to include a reason for your decision in the Provide a reason text box.
- Close the Review Azure AD roles blade.