Exception telemetry: Application Insights data model
In Application Insights, an instance of Exception represents a handled or unhandled exception that occurred during execution of the monitored application.
Identifier of where the exception was thrown in code. Used for exceptions grouping. Typically a combination of exception type and a function from the call stack.
Max length: 1024 characters
Trace severity level. Value can be
(To be extended)
Name-value collection of custom properties. This collection is used to extend standard telemetry with the custom dimensions. Examples are deployment slot that produced telemetry or telemetry-item specific property like order number.
Max key length: 150 Max value length: 8192
Collection of custom measurements. Use this collection to report named measurement associated with the telemetry item. Typical use cases are:
- the size of Dependency Telemetry payload
- the number of queue items processed by Request Telemetry
- time that customer took to complete the step in wizard step completion Event Telemetry.
You can query custom measurements in Application Analytics:
customEvents | where customMeasurements != "" | summarize avg(todouble(customMeasurements["Completion Time"]) * itemCount)
Custom measurements are associated with the telemetry item they belong to. They are subject to sampling with the telemetry item containing those measurements. To track a measurement that has a value independent from other telemetry types, use Metric telemetry.
Max key length: 150
- See data model for Application Insights types and data model.
- Learn how to diagnose exceptions in your web apps with Application Insights.
- Check out platforms supported by Application Insights.
Send feedback about: