Create a new storage account and Blob container
If you already have an existing storage account or blob container, you can skip this step.
- Create a new storage account
- Create a blob container inside your storage account. Be sure to set the "Public access level" to
Private, to ensure that your source maps are not publicly accessible.
Push your source maps to your Blob container
You should integrate your continuous deployment pipeline with your storage account by configuring it to automatically upload your source maps to the configured Blob container.
Source maps can be uploaded to your Blob Storage Container with the same folder structure they were compiled & deployed with. A common use case is to prefix a deployment folder with its version, e.g.
1.2.3/static/js/main.js. When unminifying via an Azure Blob container called
sourcemaps, it will try to fetch a source map located at
Upload source maps via Azure Pipelines (recommended)
If you are using Azure Pipelines to continuously build and deploy your application, add an Azure File Copy task to your pipeline to automatically upload your source maps.
Configure your Application Insights resource with a Source Map storage account
From the end-to-end transaction details page
From the end-to-end transaction details tab, you can click on Unminify and it will display a prompt to configure if your resource is unconfigured.
- In the Portal, view the details of an exception that is minified.
- Click on Unminify
- If your resource has not been configured, a message will appear, prompting you to configure.
From the properties page
If you would like to configure or change the storage account or Blob container that is linked to your Application Insights Resource, you can do it by viewing the Application Insights resource's Properties tab.
- Navigate to the Properties tab of your Application Insights resource.
- Click on Change source map blob container.
- Select a different Blob container as your source maps container.
Required role-based access control (RBAC) settings on your Blob container
Any user on the Portal using this feature must be at least assigned as a Storage Blob Data Reader to your Blob container. You must assign this role to anyone else that will be using the source maps through this feature.
Depending on how the container was created, this may not have been automatically assigned to you or your team.
Source map not found
- Verify that the corresponding source map is uploaded to the correct blob container
- For example,
/static/js/main.4e2ca5fa.chunk.jswill search for the blob named
- For example,
- Check your browser's console to see if any errors are being logged. Include this in any support ticket.