Monitor Surface Hubs with Log Analytics to track their health
This article describes how you can use the Surface Hub solution in Log Analytics to monitor Microsoft Surface Hub devices. Log Analytics helps you track the health of your Surface Hubs as well as understand how they are being used.
Each Surface Hub has the Microsoft Monitoring Agent installed. Its through the agent that you can send data from your Surface Hub to Log Analytics. Log files are read from your Surface Hubs and are then are sent to Log Analytics. Issues like servers being offline, the calendar not syncing, or if the device account is unable to log into Skype are shown in the Surface Hub dashboard in Log Analytics. By using the data in the dashboard, you can identify devices that are not running, or that are having other problems, and potentially apply fixes for the detected issues.
Install and configure the solution
Use the following information to install and configure the solution. In order to manage your Surface Hubs in Log Analytics, you'll need the following:
- A Log Analytics subscription level that will support the number of devices you want to monitor. Log Analytics pricing varies depending on how many devices are enrolled, and how much data it processes. You'll want to take this into consideration when planning your Surface Hub rollout.
Next, you will either add an existing Log Analytics workspace or create a new one. Detailed instructions for using either method is at Create a Log Analytics workspace in the Azure portal. Once the Log Analytics workspace is configured, there are two ways to enroll your Surface Hub devices:
- Automatically through Intune
- Manually through Settings on your Surface Hub device.
Set up monitoring
You can monitor the health and activity of your Surface Hub using Log Analytics. You can enroll the Surface Hub by using Intune, or locally by using Settings on the Surface Hub.
Connect Surface Hubs to Log Analytics through Intune
You'll need the workspace ID and workspace key for the Log Analytics workspace that will manage your Surface Hubs. You can get those from the workspace settings in the Azure portal.
Intune is a Microsoft product that allows you to centrally manage the Log Analytics configuration settings that are applied to one or more of your devices. Follow these steps to configure your devices through Intune:
- Sign in to Intune.
- Navigate to Settings > Connected Sources.
- Create or edit a policy based on the Surface Hub template.
- Navigate to the Azure Operational Insights section of the policy, and add the Log Analytics Workspace ID and Workspace Key to the policy.
- Save the policy.
Associate the policy with the appropriate group of devices.
Intune then syncs the Log Analytics settings with the devices in the target group, enrolling them in your Log Analytics workspace.
Connect Surface Hubs to Log Analytics using the Settings app
You'll need the workspace ID and workspace key for the Log Analytics workspace that will manage your Surface Hubs. You can get those from the settings for the Log Analytics workspace in the Azure portal.
If you don't use Intune to manage your environment, you can enroll devices manually through Settings on each Surface Hub:
- From your Surface Hub, open Settings.
- Enter the device admin credentials when prompted.
- Click This device, and the under Monitoring, click Configure Log Analytics Settings.
- Select Enable monitoring.
- In the Log Analytics settings dialog, type the Log Analytics Workspace ID and type the Workspace Key.
- Click OK to complete the configuration.
A confirmation appears telling you whether or not the configuration was successfully applied to the device. If it was, a message appears stating that the agent successfully connected to Log Analytics. The device then starts sending data to Log Analytics where you can view and act on it.
Monitor Surface Hubs
Monitoring your Surface Hubs using Log Analytics is much like monitoring any other enrolled devices.
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
- Navigate to your Log Analytics workspace and select Overview.
- Click on the Surface Hub tile.
Your device's health is displayed.
You can create alerts based on existing or custom log searches. Using the data Log Analytics collects from your Surface Hubs, you can search for issues and alert on the conditions that you define for your devices.