Create a new LUIS app in the LUIS portal
There are a couple of ways to create a LUIS app. You can create a LUIS app in the LUIS portal, or through the LUIS authoring APIs.
This document uses the preview LUIS portal.
Using the LUIS portal
You can create a new app in the preview portal in several ways:
- Start with an empty app and create intents, utterances, and entities.
- Start with an empty app and add a prebuilt domain.
- Import a LUIS app from a
.jsonfile that already contains intents, utterances, and entities.
Using the authoring APIs
You can create a new app with the authoring APIs in a couple of ways:
- Add application - start with an empty app and create intents, utterances, and entities.
- Add prebuilt application - start with a prebuilt domain, including intents, utterances, and entities.
Sign in to LUIS portal
A new user to LUIS needs to follow this procedure:
Select Create Azure resource then select Create an authoring resource to migrate your apps to.
Fill in the details for the resource.
When creating a new authoring resource, provide the following information:
- Resource name - a custom name you choose, used as part of the URL for your authoring and prediction endpoint queries.
- Tenant - the tenant your Azure subscription is associated with.
- Subscription name - the subscription that will be billed for the resource.
- Resource group - a custom resource group name you choose or create. Resource groups allow you to group Azure resources for access and management.
- Location - the location choice is based on the resource group selection.
- Pricing tier - the pricing tier determines the maximum transaction per second and month.
A summary of the resource to be created is displayed. Select Next.
Confirm by selecting Continue.
Create new app in LUIS
On My Apps page, select your subscription, and authoring resource then + Create. If you are using free trial key, learn how to create an authoring resource.
In the dialog box, enter the name of your application, such as
Choose your application culture, and then select Done. The description and prediction resource are optional at this point. You can set then at any time in the Manage section of the portal.
The culture cannot be changed once the application is created.
After the app is created, the LUIS portal shows the Intents list with the
Noneintent already created for you. You now have an empty app.
Other actions available
The context toolbar provides other actions:
- Rename app
- Import from file using
- Export app as
.zip(for LUIS container)
- Import container endpoint logs, to review endpoint utterances
- Export endpoint logs, as a
.csv, for offline analysis
- Delete app
If your app design includes intent detection, create new intents, and add example utterances. If your app design is only data extraction, add example utterances to the None intent, then create entities, and label the example utterances with those entities.