Get started with the SharePoint Online connector
Use the SharePoint Online connector to manage SharePoint lists.
Connect to SharePoint Online
Before your logic app can access any service, you first need to create a connection to the service. A connection provides connectivity between a logic app and another service.
Create a connection to SharePoint Online
In order to connect to SharePoint Online, you need to provide your identity (username and password, smart card credentials, etc.) to SharePoint Online. Once you've been authenticated, you can proceed to use the SharePoint Online connector in your logic app.
While on the designer of your logic app, follow these steps to sign into SharePoint to create the connection for use in your logic app:
- Enter SharePoint in the search box and wait for the search to return all triggers and actions related to SharePoint Online:
- Select the SharePoint Online - When a file is created trigger
- Select Sign in to SharePoint Online:
- Provide your SharePoint credentials to sign in to authenticate with SharePoint
- After the authentication completes you'll be redirected to your logic app. That's it, the connection has been created. Notice the message at the bottom that indicates that you are now connected to SharePoint.
- You can then add other triggers and actions that you need to complete your logic app.
Use a SharePoint Online trigger
A trigger is an event that can be used to start the workflow defined in a logic app. Learn more about triggers.
In this example, I will show you how to use the SharePoint Online - When a new item is created trigger to initiate a logic app workflow when a new item is created in a SharePoint Online list.
You will get prompted to sign into your SharePoint account if you have not already created a connection to SharePoint Online.
- Enter sharepoint in the search box on the logic apps designer then select the SharePoint Online - When a new item is created trigger.
- The When a new item is created control is displayed.
- Select a Site URL. This is the SharePoint online site you want to monitor for new items to trigger your workflow.
- Select a List name. This is the list on the SharePoint Online site you want to monitor for new items that will trigger your workflow.
At this point, your logic app has been configured with a trigger that will begin a run of the other triggers and actions in the workflow. This will take place each time a new item is created in SharePoint Online list you selected.
Use a SharePoint Online action
An action is an operation carried out by the workflow defined in a logic app. Learn more about actions.
Now that you have added a trigger, its time to do something interesting with the data that's generated by the trigger. Follow these steps to add the SharePoint Online - Create file action. This action will create a file in SharePoint Online each time the new item trigger fires.
To configure the this action, you will need to provide the following information. As you provide this information, you will notice that it is easy to use data generated by the trigger as input for some of the properties for the new file:
Create file property Description Site URL This is the URL of the SharePoint Online site where you want to create the new file. Select the site from the list presented. Folder path This is the folder (at the Site URL selected in the previous step) where the new file will be placed. Browse for and select the folder. File name This is the name of the file being created. File content The content that will be written to the file.
- Select + New step to add the action.
- Select the Add an action link. This opens the search box where you can search for any action you would like to take. For this example, SharePoint actions are of interest.
- Enter sharepoint to search for actions related to SharePoint.
- Select SharePoint Online - Create file as the action to take. Note: you will be prompted to authorize your logic app to access your SharePoint account if you have not created a connection to SharePoint Online previously.
- The Create file control opens.
- Select Site URL and browse to find the site where you would like to create the file.
- Select Folder path and browse to find the folder where the new file will be placed.
- Select the File name control and enter the name of the file you want to create. Here, you can either enter the file name directly or you can use any of the properties from the trigger you created previously. You do this by selecting properties from the list of Outputs from When a new item is created. This list is only display after you select the File name control. In this walkthough, I selected ID (the ID of the new list item) as the name of the file being created by the SharePoint Online - Create file action.
- Select the File content control and enter the content that will be written to the file that will be created. For the file content, notice that you can use any of the properties from the trigger you created previously. Simply select the properties from the list presented. Alternatively, you can enter the File content text directly into the control. In this example, I selected some properties and added spaces and a hyphen between each property.
- Save the changes to your workflow
- Congratulations, you now have a fully functional logic app that is triggered when a new item is added to a SharePoint Online list. The app will then create a file, using some of the properties from the new list item. You can now test it by creating a new item in the SharePoint list.
View any triggers and actions defined in the swagger, and also see any limits in the connector details.