Data locations for Azure DevOps
Azure DevOps Services
You can choose the location for your data during initial sign-up and creation of your organization. Azure DevOps operates in the following geographical locations (“geos”).
Azure DevOps data is available in the following eight geographies across the world:
- East Asia
- United Kingdom
- United States
We default your organization to your closest region. However, you can choose a different region. Later on, if you change your mind, our CSS team can help you migrate your organization to a different region.
Except as noted below, Azure DevOps maintains all customer data within your selected geography. Customer data includes the following data types:
- source code
- work items
- test results
- geo-redundant mirrors and offsite backups
Azure DevOps works with and uses many Microsoft Azure services. For details on customer data retention by location, see the Azure data center map.
Azure DevOps stores information that's global in nature, such as user identities and profile information as follows:
- EU-based users: profile data is in EU data center
- US-based users: profile data is in US data center
- Users from all other countries: profile data is in US data center
Transferring your data
Except as noted below, Microsoft doesn't transfer customer data outside of your selected region.
If needed, you can transfer your data using preview, beta, or other pre-release services. These services typically store your data in the United States, but may store it globally.
Microsoft will tranfer you data if it needs to do any of the following actions:
- provide customer support
- troubleshoot the service
- comply with legal requirements
Microsoft doesn't control or limit the regions from which you or your users may access your data.
Because there's only one region in Brazil, customer data is replicated to south-central United States for disaster recovery and load balancing purposes. For more information, see the Azure data center map.
For builds and releases running on Microsoft-provided macOS agents, your data will be transferred to third party data centers as follows:
- US-based users: your data is transferred to a third party US data center
- Users from all other countries: your data is transferred to either a third party US data center or European data center This data center is owned and managed by a third party with information security certification assurances, such as ISO 27001 and SOC 2 report.