Use Interactive Query with HDInsight
Interactive Query (also called Apache Hive LLAP, or Low Latency Analytical Processing) is an Azure HDInsight cluster type. Interactive Query supports in-memory caching, which makes Apache Hive queries faster and much more interactive.
An Interactive Query cluster is different from an Apache Hadoop cluster. It contains only the Hive service.
You can access the Hive service in the Interactive Query cluster only via Apache Ambari Hive View, Beeline, and the Microsoft Hive Open Database Connectivity driver (Hive ODBC). You can’t access it via the Hive console, Templeton, the Azure Classic CLI, or Azure PowerShell.
Create an Interactive Query cluster
For information about creating a HDInsight cluster, see Create Apache Hadoop clusters in HDInsight. Choose the Interactive Query cluster type.
Execute Apache Hive queries from Interactive Query
To execute Hive queries, you have the following options:
Use Microsoft Power BI
Use Visual Studio
Use Visual Studio Code
Run Apache Hive by using Apache Ambari Hive View.
Run Apache Hive by using Beeline.
You can use Beeline from either the head node or from an empty edge node. We recommend using Beeline from an empty edge node. For information about creating an HDInsight cluster by using an empty edge node, see Use empty edge nodes in HDInsight.
Run Apache Hive by using Hive ODBC.
To find the Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) connection string:
Sign in to Apache Ambari by using the following URL:
In the left menu, select Hive.
To copy the URL, select the clipboard icon:
- Learn how to create Interactive Query clusters in HDInsight.
- Learn how to visualize big data with Power BI in Azure HDInsight.
- Learn how to use Apache Zeppelin to run Apache Hive queries in Azure HDInsight.
- Learn how to run Apache Hive queries using Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio.
- Learn how to use HDInsight Tools for Visual Studio Code.
- Learn how to use Apache Hive View with Apache Hadoop in HDInsight
- Learn how to use Beeline to submit Apache Hive queries in HDInsight.
- Learn how to connect Excel to Apache Hadoop with the Microsoft Hive ODBC driver.
Send feedback about: