Use Interactive Query with HDInsight
Interactive Query (also called Hive LLAP, or Low Latency Analytical Processing) is an Azure HDInsight cluster type. Interactive Query supports in-memory caching, which makes Hive queries faster and much more interactive.
An Interactive Query cluster is different from a Hadoop cluster. It contains only the Hive service.
You can access the Hive service in the Interactive Query cluster only via Ambari Hive View, Beeline, and the Microsoft Hive Open Database Connectivity driver (Hive ODBC). You can’t access it via the Hive console, Templeton, the Azure Classic CLI, or Azure PowerShell.
Create an Interactive Query cluster
For information about creating a HDInsight cluster, see Create Hadoop clusters in HDInsight. Choose the Interactive Query cluster type.
Execute Hive queries from Interactive Query
To execute Hive queries, you have the following options:
Use Power BI
Use Visual Studio
Use Visual Studio Code
Run Hive by using Ambari Hive View.
Run Hive by using Beeline.
You can use Beeline from either the head node or from an empty edge node. We recommend using Beeline from an empty edge node. For information about creating an HDInsight cluster by using an empty edge node, see Use empty edge nodes in HDInsight.
Run Hive by using Hive ODBC.
To find the Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) connection string:
- Sign in to Ambari by using the following URL: https://<cluster name>.AzureHDInsight.net.
- In the left menu, select Hive.
To copy the URL, select the clipboard icon:
- Learn how to create Interactive Query clusters in HDInsight.
- Learn how to visualize big data with Power BI in Azure HDInsight.
- Learn how to use Zeppelin to run Hive queries in Azure HDInsight .
- Learn how to run Hive queries using Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio.
- Learn how to use HDInsight Tools for Visual Studio Code.
- Learn how to use Hive View with Hadoop in HDInsight
- Learn how to use Beeline to submit Hive queries in HDInsight.
- Learn how to connect Excel to Hadoop with the Microsoft Hive ODBC driver.