Create and manage action groups in the Azure portal
This article shows you how to create and manage action groups in the Azure portal.
You can configure a list of actions with action groups. These groups then can be used when you define activity log alerts. These groups can then be reused by each activity log alert you define, ensuring that the same actions are taken each time the activity log alert is triggered.
An action group can have up to 10 of each action type. Each action is made up of the following properties:
- Name: A unique identifier within the action group.
- Action type: Send an SMS, send an email, call a webhook, or send data to an ITSM tool.
- Details: The corresponding phone number, email address, webhook URI, or ITSM Connection Details.
For information on how to use Azure Resource Manager templates to configure action groups, see Action group Resource Manager templates.
Create an action group by using the Azure portal
In the portal, select Monitor. The Monitor blade consolidates all your monitoring settings and data in one view.
In the Activity log section, select Action groups.
Select Add action group, and fill in the fields.
Enter a name in the Action group name box, and enter a name in the Short name box. The short name is used in place of a full action group name when notifications are sent using this group.
The Subscription box autofills with your current subscription. This subscription is the one in which the action group is saved.
Select the Resource group in which the action group is saved.
Define a list of actions by providing each action's:
a. Name: Enter a unique identifier for this action.
b. Action Type: Select SMS, email, webhook, or ITSM.
c. Details: Based on the action type, enter a phone number, email address, webhook URI, or ITSM Connection details. For ITSM Action, additionally specify Work Item and other fields your ITSM tool requires.
ITSM Action requires an ITSM Connection. Learn how to create an ITSM Connection. ITSM Action currently works only for Activity Log Alerts. For other alert types, this action currently is a no-op.
- Select OK to create the action group.
Manage your action groups
After you create an action group, it's visible in the Action groups section of the Monitor blade. Select the action group you want to manage to:
- Add, edit, or remove actions.
- Delete the action group.
- Learn more about SMS alert behavior.
- Gain an understanding of the activity log alert webhook schema.
- Learn more about ITSM Connector
- Learn more about rate limiting on alerts.
- Get an overview of activity log alerts, and learn how to receive alerts.
- Learn how to configure alerts whenever a service health notification is posted.