Rate limiting is a suspension of notifications that occurs when too many are sent to a particular phone number or email. Rate limiting ensures that alerts and manageable and actionable
The rules for SMS and Email are the same. The rate limit threshold for
- SMS - 10 messages in an hour
- Email - 100 messages in an hour
Rate Limit rules
- A particular phone number or email is rate limited when it receives more than the threshold
- A phone number or email can be part of action groups across many subscriptions. Rate limiting applies across all subscriptions, that is, it applies as soon as the threshold is reached even if sent from multiple subscriptions.
- When a phone number or email is rate limited, an additional notification is sent to communicate the rate limiting. The notification states when the rate limiting expires.
Rate Limit of Webhooks
There is no rate limiting in place for webhooks today.
Learn more on SMS alert behavior
Get an overview of activity log alerts and learn how to get alerted
How to configure alerts whenever a service health notification is posted