Compute optimized virtual machine sizes
Compute optimized VM sizes have a high CPU-to-memory ratio and are good for medium traffic web servers, network appliances, batch processes, and application servers. This article provides information about the number of vCPUs, data disks, and NICs as well as storage throughput and network bandwidth for each size in this grouping.
Fsv2-series is based on the Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8168 processor, featuring a base core frequency of 2.7 GHz and a maximum single-core turbo frequency of 3.7 GHz. Intel® AVX-512 instructions, which are new on Intel Scalable Processors, will provide up to a 2X performance boost to vector processing workloads on both single and double precision floating point operations. In other words, they are really fast for any computational workload.
At a lower per-hour list price, the Fsv2-series is the best value in price-performance in the Azure portfolio based on the Azure Compute Unit (ACU) per vCPU.
F-series is based on the 2.4 GHz Intel Xeon® E5-2673 v3 (Haswell) processor, which can achieve clock speeds as high as 3.1 GHz with the Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0. This is the same CPU performance as the Dv2-series of VMs.
F-series VMs are an excellent choice for workloads that demand faster CPUs but do not need as much memory or temporary storage per vCPU. Workloads such as analytics, gaming servers, web servers, and batch processing will benefit from the value of the F-series.
The Fs-series provides all the advantages of the F-series, in addition to Premium storage.
ACU: 195 - 210
|Size||vCPU's||Memory: GiB||Temp storage (SSD) GiB||Max data disks||Max cached and temp storage throughput: IOPS / MBps (cache size in GiB)||Max NICs / Expected network bandwidth (Mbps)|
|Standard_F2s_v2||2||4||16||4||4000 (32)||2 / 875|
|Standard_F4s_v2||4||8||32||8||8000 (64)||2 / 1,750|
|Standard_F8s_v2||8||16||64||16||16000 (128)||4 / 3,500|
|Standard_F16s_v2||16||32||128||32||32000 (256)||4 / 7,000|
|Standard_F32s_v2||32||64||256||32||64000 (512)||8 / 14,000|
|Standard_F64s_v2||64||128||512||32||128000 (1024)||8 / 28,000|
|Standard_F72s_v22, 3||72||144||576||32||144000 (1520)||8 / 30,000|
1 Fsv2-series VM’s feature Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
2 More than 64 vCPU’s require one of these supported guest OSes: Windows Server 2016, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, SLES 12 SP2, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS 7.3, or Oracle Linux 7.3 with LIS 4.2.1
3 Instance is isolated to hardware dedicated to a single customer.
ACU: 210 - 250
|Size||vCPU||Memory: GiB||Temp storage (SSD) GiB||Max data disks||Max cached and temp storage throughput: IOPS / MBps (cache size in GiB)||Max uncached disk throughput: IOPS / MBps||Max NICs / Expected network bandwidth (Mbps)|
|Standard_F1s||1||2||4||4||4,000 / 32 (12)||3,200 / 48||2 / 750|
|Standard_F2s||2||4||8||8||8,000 / 64 (24)||6,400 / 96||2 / 1500|
|Standard_F4s||4||8||16||16||16,000 / 128 (48)||12,800 / 192||4 / 3000|
|Standard_F8s||8||16||32||32||32,000 / 256 (96)||25,600 / 384||8 / 6000|
|Standard_F16s||16||32||64||64||64,000 / 512 (192)||51,200 / 768||8 / 12000|
MBps = 10^6 bytes per second, and GiB = 1024^3 bytes.
1 The maximum disk throughput (IOPS or MBps) possible with a Fs series VM may be limited by the number, size, and striping of the attached disk(s). For details, see Premium Storage: High-performance storage for Azure virtual machine workloads.
ACU: 210 - 250
|Size||vCPU||Memory: GiB||Temp storage (SSD) GiB||Max temp storage throughput: IOPS / Read MBps / Write MBps||Max data disks / throughput: IOPS||Max NICs / Expected network bandwidth (Mbps)|
|Standard_F1||1||2||16||3000 / 46 / 23||4 / 4x500||2 / 750|
|Standard_F2||2||4||32||6000 / 93 / 46||8 / 8x500||2 / 1500|
|Standard_F4||4||8||64||12000 / 187 / 93||16 / 16x500||4 / 3000|
|Standard_F8||8||16||128||24000 / 375 / 187||32 / 32x500||8 / 6000|
|Standard_F16||16||32||256||48000 / 750 / 375||64 / 64x500||8 / 12000|
Size table definitions
- Storage capacity is shown in units of GiB or 1024^3 bytes. When comparing disks measured in GB (1000^3 bytes) to disks measured in GiB (1024^3) remember that capacity numbers given in GiB may appear smaller. For example, 1023 GiB = 1098.4 GB
- Disk throughput is measured in input/output operations per second (IOPS) and MBps where MBps = 10^6 bytes/sec.
- Data disks can operate in cached or uncached modes. For cached data disk operation, the host cache mode is set to ReadOnly or ReadWrite. For uncached data disk operation, the host cache mode is set to None.
- If you want to get the best performance for your VMs, you should limit the number of data disks to 2 disks per vCPU.
- Expected network bandwidth is the maximum aggregated bandwidth allocated per VM type across all NICs, for all destinations. Upper limits are not guaranteed, but are intended to provide guidance for selecting the right VM type for the intended application. Actual network performance will depend on a variety of factors including network congestion, application loads, and network settings. For information on optimizing network throughput, see Optimizing network throughput for Windows and Linux. To achieve the expected network performance on Linux or Windows, it may be necessary to select a specific version or optimize your VM. For more information, see How to reliably test for virtual machine throughput.
Learn more about how Azure compute units (ACU) can help you compare compute performance across Azure SKUs.