Getting Access to the Bing Webmaster Tools API
Webmasters need an API key in order to be able to access and use Bing Webmaster APIs. This API key can be generated from Bing Webmaster Tools.
To get your Webmaster API Key, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your account on Bing Webmaster Tools. In case you do not already have a Bing Webmaster account, sign up today using any Microsoft, Google or Facebook ID.
- Add and verify the site that you want to get information for through the APIs, if not already done.
- Select and open any verified site through the My Sites page on Bing Webmaster Tools and click on Webmaster API on the left hand side navigation menu.
- If you are generating the API key for the first time, please read and accept the Terms and Conditions displayed.
- Click on Generate to create an API Key. Only one API key can be generated per user.
Please note that the API key is generated for a user and not a site and hence a user can use the same API key for all their verified sites on Bing Webmaster Tools.
Lost or Compromised API Key
Do not give out your API key to any 3rd party or anyone you do not trust.
If you feel that your API key has been compromised or is being used by an unauthorized party, you can create a new key after deleting your current one. Please go to Webmaster API page in Bing Webmaster Tools and click on Delete. Then, click on Generate to create a new API key. Note that on deleting your old API key, all applications tied to that key will no longer function and will have to be updated with the new API key.