New workspace experiences: General availability and migration
These release notes describe functionality that may not have been released yet. To see when this functionality is planned to release, please review What’s new and planned for business intelligence. Delivery timelines and projected functionality may change or may not ship (see Microsoft policy).
In August 2018, we released a preview of the new Power BI workspace experiences to:
- Manage access using security groups, distribution lists, and multiple Office 365 Groups.
- Create a workspace in Power BI without creating an Office 365 group.
- Effectively manage workspaces with tools and APIs for Power BI admins.
Now, we are taking the next step by making these new workspaces generally available, with the following additional features:
- A new viewer role, good for users who need to view content within workspaces without the ability to modify the content. This additional role will be available after initial General Availability.
- Quick access in “Get Data” to specific file storage locations, making it faster to import reports.
- Migration of existing workspaces to new workspaces. Migration will be available after initial General Availability.
- Support for usage metrics in new workspaces.
- Support for the SharePoint Web Part with new workspaces.
- Admin Portal support to view all workspaces in the tenant and recover workspaces with no owners. We plan additional experiences, such as sub folders so that it is easier for organizations to manage content in large deployments.
Tell us what you think
Help us improve Power BI by discussing ideas, providing suggestions, and giving feedback.
- Use the Power BI Ideas site to provide suggestions for improving the product.
- Use the feedback area (Feedback or Is this page helpful?) at the lower right of this page to provide suggestions for improving the content in release notes.