The Common Data Model enables horizontal consistency for customers' business data. making it far easier for them to create value from that data. However, many customers and partners want solutions and platforms that are tailored for their industry. Microsoft is working closely with a set of prioritized industries to make the Common Data Model more relevant to them, through Industry Accelerators.
Industry Accelerators are foundational components within the Microsoft Power platform and Dynamics 365 that enable ISVs and other solution providers to quickly build industry vertical solutions. The accelerators extend the Common Data Model to include new entities to support a data schema for concepts within specific industries. Microsoft is focused on delivering accelerators for these industries and others:
- Education including Higher Ed and K-12
- Automotive (Private Preview)
- Financial Services (Private Preview)
ISV opportunity view
The Microsoft Power platform combines with Industry Accelerators to create a unique opportunity for ISVs to provide solutions for different scenarios and levels of development. This graphic shows the opportunities for ISVs who build on top of the platform and the accelerators.
The following image represents the pattern and hierarchy of how solutions are delivered.
First Layer (MPP Common Data Model)
- Microsoft Power Platform – Common Data Model represents the foundation for which the accelerators and other solutions are built on or extended from
Second Layer (Extend the Common Data Model)
- Industry Accelerators extend the base Common Data Model
- ISV solutions extend the base Common Data Model
Third Layer (Extend the Accelerator)
- ISVs extend the Microsoft Industry Accelerator
- Industry ISVs extend the Microsoft Industry Accelerator
- Microsoft Industry Sample Apps extend the Microsoft Industry Accelerator
Fourth Layer (Further extend ISV / Microsoft Apps)
- ISVs further extend Industry ISV solutions that were built on top of the Microsoft Industry Accelerator
- ISVs further extend Microsoft Industry Sample Apps that were built on top of the Microsoft Industry Accelerator
- Industry ISVs further extend Microsoft Industry Sample Apps that were built on top of the Microsoft Industry Accelerator
Fifth Layer (Further extend Industry Apps)
- ISV’s further extend Industry ISV solutions that were built on top of Microsoft Industry Sample Apps
Sixth Layer (Available on AppSource)
- Accelerators, ISV, Industry ISV, and Industry Sample solutions are made available on AppSource
Seventh Layer (SI Support)
- SIs provide expertise for Customer, ISV and Industry ISV solutions that were built on top of the Microsoft Industry Accelerators. This enables SIs to create industry vertical solution support and practices that can help customers directly, build their own solutions / tools or support ISV deliveries
As you move up the stack, ISVs have multiple opportunities to deliver industry-focused apps and solutions. These opportunities exist whether you're building directly on PowerApps (Common Data Service) or Customer Engagement. As you can see, each level further extends the next level's opportunities. The accelerators provide opportunities to rapidly build vertical, industry-focused apps, as well as enabling SIs who can help scale and support these new apps and solutions.
We continue to release new and updated accelerators for the industries identified above. Please check back for the most recent releases!
Want to help?
If you're interested in talking with us about the Industry Accelerators, please sign up to share your feedback, suggestions, and challenges.
Send feedback about: