Add notes and links to data
|Enabled for||Public preview||General availability|
|End users, automatically||Aug 1, 2019||Oct 1, 2019|
An ability to add notes that represent slightly more unstructured data is essential in modern business applications. Notes and links are already available for on-premises deployments of Business Central, and now we bring these capabilities to the online world as well, enriching its capabilities to store data in the cloud.
Users can add internal notes to business data that is captured and processed in Business Central online and on-premises. Notes are shown next to the data in a restyled panel inside the FactBox pane.
All the FactBoxes there are now divided into two groups: Details (which includes all business-related FactBoxes) and Attachments (which includes notes, links, and document attachments). The groups are shown only when needed so there is no clutter on the screen.
Notice the following special capabilities:
- You can add a note using the Alt+O keyboard shortcut from anywhere on the screen, even when the Notes FactBox is not in view.
- You can switch focus between groups in the FactBox pane with the Alt+Shift+F2 keyboard shortcut.
- There is a counter on the screen showing all attachments, including notes and links.
- A newly added note is always placed first and the focus is preserved there.
- The notes can be longer and have multiple lines, and they are displayed like that on the screen if there’s enough space.
With the Links part, users can add hyperlinks to online content from card and document pages, opening up for various advanced scenarios.