User productivity – New grid control – Phase 1
|Enabled for||Public preview||General availability|
|End users by admins, makers, or analysts||Oct 3, 2019||-|
A preview of a new and improved grid control was made available in October 2019 with Platform update 29.
The new grid provides a number of benefits:
- Performance: The new grid provides improved rendering speed and a faster scrolling experience.
- Positional scrolling: Users can now positionally scroll in the data that has been loaded in the web browser. For example, if you browse through 10,000 rows in a grid, you can just select the middle of the scrollbar to immediately go to record 5,000 without having to retrieve data from the server.
- General improvements: In the existing grid, users may run into situations occasionally where the grid headers and data are misaligned, or the grid jumps while users scroll through data or create new records. The new grid eliminates these issues.
- Reorder columns: Users can now reorder columns by dragging them. Hover the mouse pointer over the column header, and then drag the gripper control that appears on the left side of the column.
- Mathematical formulas: Users can now enter mathematical formulas into numeric cells in a grid. For example, you can enter =15*4. To make the system recognize a value as an expression, start the value with an equal sign (=).
The new grid also enables more complex features to be built into it. These additions to the grid will be introduced and enhanced in subsequent monthly updates:
Totals: Business users can see totals for numeric columns in tabular grids. For example, financial users can view totals for a filtered set of transactions for a specific customer. This feature first became available as part of the new grid control feature in Platform update 29, and it will continue to evolve in subsequent platform versions.
Fast data entry: This feature lets users enter data in a grid ahead of the server. Therefore, it minimizes the need for users to wait for the server to validate one row in the grid before they move to another row. This feature first became available as part of the new grid control feature in Platform update 31, and it will continue to evolve in subsequent platform versions.
For instructions on how to enable the new grid, follow the link in the See also section below.