Content access levels give another level of control separate from web roles to control access to knowledge articles in a portal. Content access levels make a well-designed knowledge base more capable of providing the right content to the right audience. This allows for more structured learning paths that keep irrelevant content from surfacing.
To turn on the content access level–based filtering of knowledge articles on your portal, set the value of the KnowledgeManagement/ContentAccessLevel/Enabled site setting to true.
Create content access levels
- Sign in to Dynamics 365 and go to Portals > Security > Content Access Levels
- In the ribbon, select New.
- Fill in the Name and Description.
- Change Default Access Level from No to Yes if it should be the default.
- In the ribbon, select Save.
Assign content access levels to knowledge articles
- Open the Interactive Service Hub.
- Select the knowledge article you want to edit, or create a new article.
- Select Summary just above the progress bar.
- Under Related Information (third column), select the symbol that looks like a lock.
- Select + to add a new Content Access Level or the Trash Can symbol next to a Content Access Level to remove it.
Assign content access levels to portal users
- Sign in to Dynamics 365 and go to Portals > Security > Contacts
- Select the Contact you wish to edit.
- Under the Details tab, find the Content Access Levels section.
- Press + to add a new content access level or the Trash Can symbol next to a content access level to remove it.
A user can also inherit a content access level if it is assigned to a Web Role, Parent Contact, or Account that the user is connected to. This inheritance avoids the need to reassign or update content access levels at an individual level. You can assign Web Roles to a content access level by navigating to Portals > Security > Web Roles and then following the same steps. You can assign accounts to a content access level by navigating to Sales > Accounts and then selecting the account to edit. After the account is selected, find the Content Access Levels section on the rightmost side of the screen and use the + and Trash Can buttons to add or remove a content access level.