Segments let you group your customers based on demographic, transactional, or behavioral attributes. You can use segments to target promotional campaigns, sales activities, and customer support actions to achieve your business goals.
Customer profiles that match the filters of a segment definition are referred as members of a segment. Some service limits apply.
Create a new segment
There are multiple ways to create a new segment:
- Complex segment with segment builder: Build our own
- Simple segments with one operator: Quick segment
- AI-powered way to find similar customers: Similar Customers
- AI-powered suggestions based on measures or attributes: Suggested segments to improve measures
- Suggestions based on activities: Suggested segments based on customer activity
Manage existing segments
Go to the Segments page to view all your saved segments and manage them.
Each segment is represented by a row that includes additional information about the segment.
The following actions are available when you select a segment:
- View the segment details, including member count trend a preview of segment members.
- Download the list of members as a .CSV file.
- Edit the segment to change its properties.
- Create duplicate of a segment. You can choose to edit its properties right away or simply save the duplicate.
- Refresh the segment to include the latest data.
- Activate or Deactivate the segment. For inactive segments, the segment definition exists but it doesn't contain any customers yet. An active segment looks for customers that match the segment definition. If a scheduled refresh is configured, inactive segments have the Status listed as Skipped, indicating that a refresh wasn't even attempted. When an inactive segment is activated, it will refresh and will be included in scheduled refreshes. Alternatively, you can use the Schedule later functionality in the Activate/Deactivate dropdown to specify a future date and time for activation and deactivation of a particular segment.
- Find similar customers from the segment.
- Rename the segment.
- Tag to manage tags for the segment.
- Download the list of members as a .CSV file.
- Manage exports to see exports related segment and manage them. Learn more about exports.
- Delete the segment.
- Columns to customize the columns that display.
- Filter to filter on tags.
- Search name to search by segment name.
You can refresh all segments at once by selecting Refresh all on the Segments page or you can refresh one or multiple segments when you select them and choose Refresh in from the options. Alternatively, you can configure a recurring refresh on Admin > System > Schedule. When a recurring refresh is configured, the following rules apply:
- All segments with the type Dynamic or Expansion will be automatically refreshed at the set cadence. When refresh is complete the Status indicates if there were any issues in refreshing the segment. The Last refreshed shows a timestamp of the last successful refresh. If an error occurs, select the error to see a details about what happened.
- Segments with the type Static won't be refreshed automatically. The Last refreshed shows a timestamp of the last time the static segments was run or refreshed manually.
There are statuses for tasks and processes. Most processes depend on other upstream processes, such as data sources and data profiling refreshes. Select the status to open the Progress details pane and view the progress of the tasks. Under each task, you can select See details for more progress information, such as processing time, the last processing date, and any applicable errors and warnings associated with the task or process. You can use the Entire workflow toggle at the bottom of the panel to see other processes in the system.
You can export a segment from the segments page or the exports page.
Go to the Segments page.
Select Show more [...] for the segment you want to export.
Select Manage exports from the actions dropdown list.
The page Exports (preview) for segment opens. You can see all configured exports grouped by whether they contain the current segment or not.
To add the selected segment to an export, Edit the respective export to select the corresponding segment, then save. In environments for individual customers you can instead select the export in the list and select Add segment to achieve the same outcome.
To create a new export with the selected segment, select Add export. For more information about creating exports, see Set up a new export.
Select Back to return to the main page for segments.
View processing history and segment members
You can see consolidated data about a segment by reviewing its details.
On the Segments page, select the segment you want to review.
The upper part of the page includes a trend graph that visualizes changes in member count. Hover over data points to see the member count on a specific date.
You can update the time frame of the visualization.
The lower part contains a list of the segment members.
Fields that appear in this list are based on the attributes of your segment's entities.
The list is a preview of the matching segment members and shows the first 100 records of your segment so that you can quickly evaluate it and review its definitions if needed. To see all matching records, you need to export the segment.
Submit and view feedback for