Create and manage categories
Using the Categories entity, you can create hierarchical categorical data to help group records. Categorizing entity records in Dynamics 365 Customer Service helps you tag the records so that you can easily search them. Use the entity to create and manage a logical structure of categories in Dynamics 365 Customer Service, and then associate entity records to one or more categories.
Categories are useful for reporting, sorting, segmenting, and categorization of records.
With the latest release of Dynamics 365 Customer Service app, categories in service management are available in the Customer Service Hub. We recommend that you create and manage categories using the new experience.
Create a category
Follow the procedure given below to create a category:
Make sure that you have the Customer Service Manager, System Administrator, or System Customizer security role or equivalent permissions.
Check your security role
Follow the steps in View your user profile.
Don’t have the correct permissions? Contact your system administrator.
In the Customer Service Hub sitemap, go to Service Management and select Knowledge Base Management > Categories.
In the Customer Service app, go to Settings > Service Management and select Categories.
To create a new category, select New.
To edit a category, double-click the category in the category list that you want to edit. You can also select the category in the list and select Edit in the command bar.
Type or change information in the text boxes.
Hover tips provide hints about what to enter.
In the General section, fill in the required details:
- Title: Provide a title for the category
- Description: Give a detailed description of the category
- Display Order: Provide a position where the category can be displayed in the hierarchical order
- Parent Category: Select an existing category to become the parent category. You can create a new category by selecting New.
- Category Number: The category number is displayed for category reference. To view this, first save the record by selecting Save on the command bar
In the Associated Categories section:
- View all the Child Categories for a particular category here
- Quickly create a new category by selecting Add New Category
- Select a category from the list and select View Hierarchy. You can see the hierarchy of a particular record, and its parent and child category associations.
- Select Assign on the command bar to assign the category to a particular owner.
- To delete a category, select the category from the list and select Delete on the command bar.