System requirements, limits, and configuration values for App for Outlook
This topic contains requirements, limits, and configuration values for Dynamics 365 App for Outlook
[!IMPORTANT] Following the end of support for Internet Explorer 11, Dynamics 365 App for Outlook will not work on versions of Microsoft Outlook that uses IE WebView, when Internet Explorer 11 is removed from the operating system.
|Server/client type||Supported version|
|Browser (Outlook Web Access)|
Support for 2013 versions of Office 365 ProPlus ended on February 28, 2017. More information: See here.
Supported configurations with Microsoft Exchange
As of the December 2016 Update for Dynamics 365 (online and on-premises) you can use the app with any combination of Customer Engagement or Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement (on-premises) and Exchange Online or Exchange Server (on-premises), including hybrid configurations. This means you can use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook in any of the following configurations:
|App||Microsoft Exchange configuration|
|Customer Engagement||Exchange Online|
|Customer Engagement||Exchange Server (on-premises), version 15.0.1236.3.32 (Cumulative Update 14 for Exchange Server 2013) or greater|
|Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement (on-premises)||Exchange Server (on-premises), version 15.0.1236.3.32 (Cumulative Update 14 for Exchange Server 2013) or greater|
|Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement (on-premises)||Exchange Online|
Feature support per client
|Email client||Received email
(view information and track)
(view information, track,
and add templates,
knowledge base articles,
and sales literature)
|Appointments and meetings
(view information and track)
(view information and track)
|Outlook 2016 (desktop client)||O and M||O and M1||O and M1||O3 and M2|
|Outlook 2013 (desktop client)||O and M||O and M1||O and M1|
|Outlook for Mac (desktop client)||O and M|
|Outlook on the web (OWA)4||O and M||O and M1||O and M1|
|Mobile Outlook app5||O|
(O)Online: Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement, Exchange Online with both in the same tenant (Multi-tenant configuration of Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement and Exchange Online being in different tenants is not supported)
(M)Mixed: Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement, Exchange Server 2013/2016
(1) Tracking email and tracking appointments in compose mode requires Exchange Server 2013 CU14 (not supported in OWA) or Exchange Server 2016.
(2) Tracking contacts is supported only on Exchange Server 2016 CU3 and Outlook 2016 16.0.6741.1000 C2R version or later. Or, Outlook 2016 MSI version 16.0.4444.1000 or higher with the following KBs installed. For more information, see these KB articles:
(3) Supported only on Outlook 2016 16.0.7426.1049 or later.
(4) Not supported on mobile Outlook Web Access.
(5) Supported on iPhones 6S or higher, with iOS 8 or higher.
Supported browsers for Outlook on the web
You can use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook with Outlook on the web on the following browsers:
Internet Explorer 11, or Microsoft Edge
The following configuration is supported:
Protected Mode is enabled for Internet security zone. To enable Protected Mode: in IE 11, go to Tools > Internet options > Security tab > Internet.
Protected Mode is enabled for Local intranet security zone. To enable Protected Mode: in IE 11, go to Tools > Internet options > Security tab > Local intranet.
Your Dynamics 365 apps URL is in the Local intranet security zone list of trusted websites. In IE 11, go to Tools > Internet options > Security tab > Local intranet > Sites > Advanced.
Google Chrome (latest version) on Windows
Firefox (latest version) on Window
Apple Safari (version 9 or version 10) on Mac or on OSX
The server requirements for using Office Add-ins are Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Server 2016, or Exchange Online.
Dynamics 365 App for Outlook supports the following languages:
|Bulgarian (Bulgaria) - 1026||Hebrew - 1037||Portuguese (Brazil) - 1046|
|Chinese (People's Republic of China) - 2052||Hindi (India) - 1081||Portuguese (Portugal) - 2070|
|Chinese (Taiwan) - 1028||Hungarian - 1038||Romanian - 1048|
|Croatian (Croatia) - 1050||Indonesian - 1057||Russian - 1049|
|Czech (Czech Republic) - 1029||Italian - 1040||Serbian - 2074|
|Danish - 1030||Japanese - 1041||Slovak - 1051|
|Dutch - 1043||Kazakh - 1087||Slovenian - 1060|
|English - 1033||Korean - 1042||Spanish - 3082|
|Estonian - 1061||Latvian - 1062||Swedish - 1053|
|Finnish - 1035||Lithuanian - 1063||Thai - 1054|
|French - 1036||Malaysian - 1086||Turkish - 1055|
|German - 1031||Norwegian - 1044||Ukrainian - 1058|
|Greek - 1032||Polish - 1045||Vietnamese - 1066|
Synchronization and tracking
The Dynamics 365 App for Outlook tracks and synchronizes your mail and calendar data between Outlook (Exchange) and Dynamics 365 apps. Server-side synchronization is an asynchronous service that runs in the background approximately every 15 minutes to synchronize items between Exchange and Dynamics 365 apps. In most scenarios, the Outlook item is immediately created in Dynamics 365 apps. However, in some cases, server-side synchronization service is used to promote the item to Dynamics 365 apps and keep it synchronized, which may take up to 15 minutes. The below table provides a brief explainer of the behavior.
In most cases items are immediately tracked, aside from when an email is in compose mode and recurring appointments.
Server-side synchronization is used to promote emails when Microsoft Outlook includes images in email signatures as attachments.
If the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook uses Server-side synchronization to track an item to Dynamics 365 apps, the track status of the item will be “Pending”.
For manually tracked items, App for Outlook only synchronizes pre-definded fields between Outlook (Exchange) and Dynamics 365 apps. Any Field level synchronization settings will have no effect while tracking the items manually from App for Outlook.
Things to know
- The latest release of Dynamics 365 App for Outlook works with customer engagement apps in Dynamics 365 (Dynamics 365 Sales, Dynamics 365 Customer Service, Dynamics 365 Field Service, Dynamics 365 Marketing, and Dynamics 365 Project Service Automation), Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement (on-premises), version 9, and Microsoft Dataverse.
- App for Outlook uses Microsoft Edge browser when you are using Windows 10 (version 1903 or later) OS and Outlook Click-2-Run client that’s updated to the current channel, Monthly Enterprise channel, or Semi-annual Enterprise channel (16.0.13127.20508 or later). For other combination of Windows and Outlook, App for Outlook uses Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.
- Multi-factor authentication with Dynamics 365 App for Outlook and Server Side Synchronization is supported only in an online-only configuration. It is not a supported scenario for Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement (on-premises) or Microsoft Exchange on-premises.
- Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is not supported on Microsoft 365 shared mailbox.
- Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is not supported in configurations that have Dynamics 365 apps and Microsoft 365 (Exchange Online) in different tenants.
- Windows 7 had reached end of life and is no longer a supported client OS for Dynamics 365 App for Outlook.
Submit and view feedback for