Integration journal in Project Operations
Applies To: Project Operations for resource/non-stocked based scenarios
Time and expense entries create Actual transactions which represent the operational view of work completed against a project. Dynamics 365 Project Operations provides accountants with a tool to review transactions and adjust the accounting attributes as needed. After the review and adjustments are complete, the transactions are posted to the Project subledger and General ledger. An accountant can perform these activities using the Project Operations Integration journal(Dynamics 365 Finance > Project management and accounting > Journals > Project Operations Integration journal.
Create records in the Project Operations Integration journal
Records in the Project Operations Integration journal are created using periodic process, Import from staging table. You can run this process by going to Dynamics 365 Finance > Project management and accounting > Periodic > Project Operations Integration > Import from staging table. You can run the process interactively or configure the process to run in the background as needed.
When the periodic process runs, any actuals that aren't yet added to the Project Operations Integration journal are found. A journal line for each actual transaction is created. The system groups journal lines into separate journals based on the value selected in the Period unit on Project Operations Integration journal field (Finance > Project management and accounting > Setup > Project management and accounting parameters, Project Operations on Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement tab). Possible values for this field include:
- Days: Actuals are grouped by transaction date. A separate journal is created for each day.
- Months: Actuals are grouped by calendar month. A separate journal is created for each month.
- Years: Actuals are grouped by calendar year. A separate journal is created for each year.
- All: All actual transactions are included in the same integration journal. If the journal isn't available when the periodic process runs, for example if the journal is in the process of posting transactions, a new journal is created.
Journal lines are created based on project actuals. The following list includes some of the more notable default and transformation rules:
- Each project actual transaction has a line in the Project Operations Integration journal. Cost and unbilled sales transactions for time and material billing type are shown on separate lines.
- The Date field represents the date of the transaction. The Accounting date field represents the date that the transaction is recorded to the ledger. If the accounting date is in a closed financial period, and the parameter Automatically set accounting date to open ledger period is set on the Financial tab of the Project management and accounting parameters page, the system will adjust the accounting date of the transaction to the first date in next open ledger period.
- The Voucher field shows the voucher number for every actual transaction. The voucher number sequence is defined on the Number sequences tab, on the Project management and accounting parameters page. Each line is assigned a new number. After the voucher is posted, you can view how cost and unbilled sales transaction are related by selecting Related vouchers on the Voucher transaction page.
- The Category field represents a project transaction and defaults based on the transaction category for the related project actual.
- If Transaction category is set in the Project actual and a related Project category exists in a given legal entity, the category defaults to this project category.
- If Transaction category isn't set in the Project actual, the system uses the value in the Project category defaults field on the Project Operations on Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement tab on the Project management and accounting parameters page.
- The Resource field represents the project resource related to this transaction. The resource is used as a reference in Project invoice proposals to customers.
- The Exchange rate field defaults from Currency exchange rate set in Dynamics 365 Finance. If the exchange rate setup is missing, the Import from staging periodic process won't add the record to a journal and an error message will be added to the job execution log.
- The Line property field represents the billing type in Project actuals. Line property and billing type mapping are defined on the Project Operations on Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement tab on the Project management and accounting parameters page.
Only the following accounting attributes can be updated in the Project Operations integration journal lines:
- Billing sales tax group and Billing item sales tax group
- Financial dimensions (using the Distribute amounts action)
Integration journal lines can be deleted, however any unposted lines will be inserted into the journal again after you rerun the Import from staging periodic process.
When you post the Integration journal, a project subledger and general ledger transactions are created. These are used in downstream customer invoicing, revenue recognition, and financial reporting.