This topic applies to Dynamics 365 for Retail, Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Enterprise edition, and Dynamics 365 for Operations.
In Retail Modern Point of Sale (MPOS), you can send receipt emails at the time a transaction is tendered at the point of sale.
You must configure a SMTP server to send email receipts.
Set up email receipts
Set default options for email receipts
- Click Retail > Headquarters setup > Parameters > Retail parameters.
Click the Posting tab, and then under Email receipt, in the Receipt option field, select a default option:
- Standard receipt – Print receipts from the point of sale register.
- E-mail – Send receipts to customers in email messages.
- Both – Print receipts from the point of sale register and send receipts to customers in email messages.
In the Subject field, enter the text that you want to appear by default in the subject line of a receipt that is sent as an email message.
Set email receipt options for a customer
- Click Retail > Customers > All customers.
- On the All customers list page, select a customer, then click Edit.
On the Customers details page, on the Retail FastTab, select an option in the Receipt option field:
- Standard receipt – The customer will receive only printed receipts. The printed receipt is generated from the point of sale register.
- E-mail – The customer will receive only email receipts.
- Both – The customer will receive both a printed receipt and an email receipt.
In the Receipt email field, if you selected either E-mail or Both in the Receipt option field, enter the customer’s email address .
Set up an email template for receipts
- Click Organization Administration > Setup > E-mail Templates.
- Press CTRL+N to create a new template.
On the Overview tab, complete the following:
- E-mail ID - Enter EmailRecpt.
- **E-mail description **- Enter a description.
- **Default language code **- Select the language.
- Sender name **- Specify a name to appear as the sender of the email. Customers will see this name on the email as the **From name.
- Sender e-mail **- Specify a valid email address. Customers will see this email address as the **From email address.
In the lower grid, configure the following:
- *E-mail ID **- This should already be populated as *EmailRecpt.
- **Subject **- Enter a title for the email receipts.
- **Language **- Specify the language.
- *Email **- Insert the following string: *<pre>%message%</pre>.
- If you want to have more than just the receipt in the message, click the E-mail message button to fill out the template for the body of the email messages to be sent. If you want the receipt to appear (in MPOS), insert the placeholder %message%.
This is the only placeholder that will be replaced when sending MPOS receipts. To get more placeholder options, you'll need to create customization on the MPOS side.
Depending on the settings that you configured, you'll need to run the respective distribution schedule jobs to sync the changes to MPOS.
- 1010 – Customer
- 1070 – Channel configuration
- 1090 – Registers
- 1110 – Global configuration
After synchronizing the changes to the store, MPOS will prompt the user for an email address for each transaction (if enabled). If the customer already has an email address on file, that address will appear in the email address prompt. If a customer hasn't been named, or the named customer doesn’t have an email address, enter an email address and then click Send. When the transaction is finalized, the real-time service will send the customer an email with the receipt in the body of the message as configured above.