Send email receipts from Retail Modern POS (MPOS)
This topic applies to Dynamics 365 for Retail and Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations.
In Retail Modern Point of Sale (MPOS), you can send receipt emails when a transaction is tendered at the point of sale (POS).
To send email receipts, you must configure a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server.
Set up email receipts
Set default options for email receipts
Select Retail > Headquarters setup > Parameters > Retail parameters.
On the Posting tab, on the Email receipt FastTab, in the Receipt option field, select a default option:
- Standard receipt – Print receipts from the POS register.
- Email – Send receipts to customers in email messages.
- Both – Print receipts from the POS register, and send receipts to customers in email messages.
In the Subject field, enter the text that should appear by default on the subject line of a receipt that is sent as an email message.
Set email receipt options for a customer
Select Retail > Customers > All customers.
On the All customers list page, select a customer, and then select Edit.
On the customer details page, on the Retail FastTab, in the Receipt option field, select an option:
- Standard receipt – The customer will receive only printed receipts. The printed receipt is generated from the POS register.
- Email – The customer will receive only email receipts.
- Both – The customer will receive both printed receipts and email receipts.
If you selected either Email or Both in the Receipt option field, enter the customer's email address in the Receipt email field.
Set up an email receipt profile
- Select Retail > Channel setup > POS setup > POS profiles > Receipt profiles.
- Press Ctrl+N to create a receipt profile.
- Enter values in the Receipt profile ID and Description fields.
- On the General FastTab, select Add to add a receipt type.
- Select Receipt as the receipt type, and select the receipt format to use for email receipts.
Add an email receipt profile to the functionality profile
- Select Retail > Channel setup > POS setup > POS profiles > Functionality profiles.
- Select Edit.
- On the General FastTab, in the Receipt profile ID field, specify an email receipt profile.
Set up an email template for receipts
Select Organization administration > Setup > Email templates.
Press Ctrl+N to create a template.
On the Overview tab, complete the following fields:
- In the Email ID field, enter EmailRecpt.
- In the Email description field, enter a description.
- In the Default language code field, select the language.
- In the Sender name field, specify the name that should appear as the sender of the email. Customers will see this name as the From name on the email.
- In the Sender email field, specify a valid email address. Customers will see this email address as the From email address on the email.
In the lower grid, configure the following fields:
- Make sure that the Email ID field is set to EmailRecpt.
- In the Subject field, enter a title for the email receipts.
- In the Language field, specify the language.
- In the Email field, enter %message%.
- If you want the messages that are sent to include more than just the receipt, select Email message, and fill in the template for the body of the email messages. If you want the receipt to appear in MPOS, insert the placeholder %message%.
The %message% placeholder is the only placeholder that will be replaced when MPOS receipts are sent. If you want more placeholder options, you must create a customization on the MPOS side.
Depending on the settings that you configured, you must run the appropriate distribution schedule jobs to synchronize the changes to MPOS.
- 1010 – Customer
- 1070 – Channel configuration
- 1090 – Registers
- 1110 – Global configuration
After the changes are synchronized to the store, MPOS prompts the user for an email address for each transaction (if this feature is enabled). If an email address is already on file for the customer, that address appears in the email address prompt. If a customer hasn't been named, or if an email address hasn't been entered for a named customer, enter an email address, and then select Send. When the transaction is finalized, the real-time service will send the customer an email that has the receipt in the body of the message, as you configured earlier.