What is FSLogix?
FSLogix enhances and enables user profiles Windows remote computing environments. FSLogix solutions are appropriate for virtual environments in both public and private clouds. FSLogix solutions may also be used to create more portable computing sessions when using physical devices.
FSLogix solutions include:
- Profile Container
- Office Container
- Application Masking
- Java Version Control
Heres what you can do with FSLogix solutions:
- Maintain user context in virtual desktop environments
- Minimize sign in times for virtual desktop environments
- Optimize file IO between host/client and remote profile store
- Native (Local) profile experience, eliminating many compatibility issues with solutions using visible redirection, such as User Profile Disk (UPD).
- Simplify the management of applications and 'Gold Images'
- Specify the version of Java to be utilized by specific URL and applications
- Redirect user profiles to a network location using Profile Container. Profiles are placed in VHD(X) files and mounted at run time. It's common to copy a profile to and from the network, when a user signs in and out of a remote environment. Because user profiles can often be large, sign in and sign out times often became unacceptable. Mounting and using the profile on the network eliminates delays often associated with solutions that copy files.
- Redirect only the portion of the profile that contains Office data by using Office Container. Office Container allows an organization already using an alternate profile solution to enhance Office in a non-persistent environment. This functionality is useful with the Outlook .OST file.
- Applications use the profile as if it were on the local drive. Because the FSLogix solutions use a Filter Driver to redirect the profile, applications don't recognize that the profile is on the network. Obscuring the redirection is important because many applications won't work properly with a profile stored on remote storage.
- Profile Container is used with Cloud Cache to create resilient and highly available environments. Cloud Cache places a portion of the profile VHD on the local hard drive. Cloud Cache also allows an administrator to specify multiple remote profile locations. The Local Cache, with multiple remote profile containers, insulates users from network and storage failures.
- Application Masking manages access to an application, font, printer, or other items. Access can be controlled by user, IP Address range, and other criteria. Application Masking significantly decreases the complexity of managing large numbers of gold images.
You are eligible to access FSLogix Profile Container, Office 365 Container, Application Masking, and Java Redirection tools if you have one of the following licenses:
- Microsoft 365 E3/E5
- Microsoft 365 A3/A5/ Student Use Benefits
- Microsoft 365 F1/F3
- Microsoft 365 Business
- Windows 10 Enterprise E3/E5
- Windows 10 Education A3/A5
- Windows 10 VDA per user
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Client Access License (CAL)
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Subscriber Access License (SAL)
FSLogix solutions may be used in any public or private data center, as long as a user is properly licensed. FSLogix tools operate on all operating systems newer than, and including:
- Desktop - Windows 7
- Server - 2008 R2
- FSLogix solutions support both 32 bit and 64 bit where applicable
- In no instance are FSLogix solutions supported in an environment that is not supported by Microsoft, or the original software or equipment vendor
FSLogix solutions may have unique integration and advantages when used in conjunction with Windows Virtual Desktop
- Visit the FSLogix forum to interact with the product team, support, and community participants.
- Visit FSLogix User Voice to request enhancements to FSLogix.
To get started, you'll need to download and install FSLogix then configure your environment for the desired solution(s):