Enroll Android devices
|Applies to: Intune in the Azure portal|
|Looking for documentation about Intune in the classic portal? Go here.|
As an Intune administrator, you can manage Android devices, including Samsung Knox Standard devices. You can also manage the work profile Android for Work devices.
Devices that run Samsung Knox Standard are supported for multi-user management by Intune. This means that users can sign in and out of a device with their Azure AD credentials. The device is centrally managed whether it’s in use or not. When users sign in, they have access to apps and additionally get any policies applied to them. When users sign out, all app data is cleared.
To prepare to manage mobile devices, you must set the mobile device management (MDM) authority to Microsoft Intune. See Set the MDM authority for instructions. You set this item only once, when you are first setting up Intune for mobile device management.
Set up Android enrollment
By default, Intune allows enrollment of Android and Samsung Knox Standard devices.
To block Android devices, or to block only personally owned Android devices from enrollment, see Set device type restrictions.
To enable device management, your users must enroll their devices by downloading the Intune Company Portal app (available from Google Play), and then opening the app and following the prompts. After Android devices are managed, you assign compliance policies, manage apps, and more.
Enable enrollment of Android for Work devices
To enable management of the work profile on devices that support Android for Work, you must add an Android for Work binding to Intune. To enroll devices that support Android for Work but were previously enrolled as regular Android devices, you must unenroll the devices and then re-enroll them.
If you're enrolling Android for Work devices by using a Device Enrollment Manager account, there is a limit of 10 devices that can be enrolled per account.
Add Android for Work binding for Intune
- Set up Intune MDM
If you haven’t already, prepare for mobile device management by setting the mobile device management authority as Microsoft Intune.
Configure Android for Work binding
As an Intune administrator, in the Azure portal, choose More Services > Monitoring + Management > Intune.
a. On the Intune blade, choose Device enrollment > Android for Work Enrollment, and choose Configure to open Google Play's Android for Work website. The website opens on a new tab in your browser.
b. Sign in to Google
On Google's sign-in page, enter the Google account that will be associated with all Android for Work management tasks for this tenant. This is the Google account that your company's IT admins share to manage and publish apps in the Play for Work console.
c. Provide organization details
Provide your company's name for Organization name. For Enterprise mobility management (EMM) provider, Microsoft Intune should be displayed. Agree to the Android for Work agreement, and then choose Confirm. Your request will be processed.
Specify Android for Work enrollment settings
Android for Work is supported on only certain Android devices. See Google's Android for Work requirements. Any device that supports Android for Work also supports conventional Android management. Intune lets you specify how devices that support Android for Work should be managed:
- Manage all devices as Android. All Android devices, including devices that support Android for Work, will be enrolled as conventional Android devices.
- Manage supported devices as Android for Work. All devices that support Android for Work are enrolled as Android for Work devices. Any Android device that does not support Android for Work is enrolled as a conventional Android device.
- Manage supported devices for users only in these user groups as Android for Work. You can target Android for Work management to a limited set of users. Only members of the selected groups who enroll a device that supports Android for Work are enrolled as Android for Work devices. All others are enrolled as Android devices. This is useful during Android for Work pilots.
Approve the Company Portal app in the managed Google Play store
You need to approve the Company Portal app for Android in the managed Google Play store to ensure that it receives automatic app updates. If you don't approve it, the Company Portal will eventually become out of date and may not receive important bug fixes or new features when Microsoft releases them.
Follow these steps to approve the Intune Company Portal:
- Browse to the Company Portal app on the managed Google Play store.
- Sign into the managed Google Play store with the same Google account that you used to configure the binding for Android for Work.
- Click Approve. This will open a new dialog.
- Review the permissions in this dialog, then click Approve. You need these to allow these permissions in order to allow the Company Portal app to manage the work profile on the device.
- Select Keep approved when app requests new permissions, then click Save.
Tell your users how to enroll their devices to access company resources
Tell your users to go to Google Play to download the Intune Company Portal app, and then open the app and follow the prompts to enroll their device. The app guides users through the enrollment process, explaining what users can expect and what IT administrators can and can't see on their devices.
You can also send them a link to online enrollment steps: Enroll your Android device in Intune.
For information about other user tasks, see these articles:
Unbind your Android for Work administrative account
You can turn off Android for Work enrollment and management. Choosing Unbind in the Intune administration console removes all enrolled Android for Work devices from enrollment. It also removes the relationship between the Android for Work account and Intune.
To unbind an Android for Work account
Unbind Android for Work binding
As an Intune administrator, in the Azure portal, choose More Services > Monitoring + Management > Intune. On the Intune blade, choose Device enrollment, > Android for Work Enrollment, and then choose Unbind.
Agree to delete Android for Work binding
Choose Yes to delete the binding and unenroll all Android for Work devices from Intune.