Locate lost or stolen iOS devices with Intune
|Applies to: Intune in the Azure portal|
|Looking for documentation about Intune in the classic portal? Go here.|
The Locate Device device action displays the location of a lost or stolen iOS device on a map. The device must be a corporate-owned iOS device, enrolled through DEP, that is in supervised mode. Before you use this action, the device must have been placed into lost mode.
- Windows - Not supported
- Windows Phone - Not supported
- iOS - Supported on iOS 9.3 and later (in Lost mode), supervised, and corp owned
- macOS - Not supported
- Android - Not supported
How to locate a lost or stolen device
- Sign into the Azure portal.
- Choose All services > Intune. Intune is located in the Monitoring + Management section.
- On the Intune blade, choose Devices.
- On the Devices blade, choose All devices.
- From the list of devices you manage, choose an iOS device, choose ...More, and then choose the Locate device remote action.
- After the device has been located, it's location is displayed on the Locate device blade.
For privacy purposes, the distance you can zoom into the map is limited.
Security and privacy information for the lost mode and locate device actions
- No device location information is sent to Intune until you turn this action on.
- When you use the locate device action, the latitude and longitude coordinates of the device are sent to Intune, and displayed in the Azure portal.
- The data is stored for 24 hours, then removed. You cannot manually remove the location data.
- Location data is encrypted, both while stored, and while being transmitted.
- When you configure lost mode, we recommend that the message you enter to display on the lock screen includes information that helps someone who finds the device to return it.
To see the status of the action you just took, on the Devices blade, choose Device actions.