Learning Minecraft: Education Edition
Minecraft: Education Edition Teacher Academy is comprised of three sections and eleven modules which focus on the use of Minecraft: Education Edition as a teaching and learning tool designed to support strong pedagogical practices in the learning environment. The modules are divided into three sections intended for beginner, intermediate, and advanced users. At the end of this learning path, you will become a Minecraft Certified Teacher and receive the badge.
Path participants will learn:
Basic mechanics of downloading, setting up and logging into Minecraft: Education Edition
In-game play by exploring movement within the game as well as learning the process for placing and breaking blocks
In-game features to use as tools for assessment and feedback
The process of creating build challenges utilizing game-based strategies
Key features of world management and classroom settings
Tips on classroom management and readiness
An understanding of basic in-game coding
Skills that allow for learner collaboration, creativity, and communication
How to incorporate engineering practices
Chemistry and Science in-game functionality
How the game supports learner inquiry and curiosity
Supports participant learning styles
- Experience a mixture of course activities- read articles, view video clips, guided steps, and tutorials
- Capture thoughts, reflections, and work in a Course Notes document
- Notes can be handwritten, digital, or on any other preferred platform
- Share reflections on social media under course hashtags
- Measure progress through reflections and knowledge checks
Course structure inside Minecraft: Education Edition Teacher Academy
In order to gain the skills necessary to learn Minecraft: Education Edition, it's recommended that you sign in to Minecraft: Education Edition on your own device. Use the following videos, PDF of the written steps, and the tutorial worlds to guide you as you work in the Minecraft: Education Edition platform on your device.
Learn: This section will discuss what the next step of learning is about and the why. There may be a reflection section that will have you pause to think about a particular question as it relates to your learning.
Read: Build your knowledge.
Watch: Use the videos as a tool for learning to follow along with the presenter on your device.
Do: Practice your skills.
Pause and do: Review your new learning and practice your skills.
Reflect: Activate and deepen your understanding of the learning presented in the course.
Knowledge check: Check your understanding by completing a knowledge check at the end of each course.
Additional information, resources, or support
Estimated completion time: 11 hours (includes in-game practice)
If you have previously completed the My Minecraft Journey learning path and received the Minecraft Certified Teacher badge, you do not need to complete this learning path. You still have the Minecraft Certified Teacher badge. You're welcome to complete this learning path if you'd like, however, as there is new content, but you won't receive a different/new badge.
Information available on the Minecraft: Education Edition website: https://education.minecraft.net/
- Recognize how Minecraft: Education Edition is a manageable game-based platform that allows teachers to assess students understanding using lessons, activities, and build challenges.
- Describe how to apply Minecraft: Education Edition in the classroom by participating in lesson simulations, exploring collaborative gameplay, and understanding classroom readiness.
- Explain how to use Minecraft: Education Edition to enrich classroom experiences through introductory coding, chemistry and science, as well as engineering with Redstone.