Add iOS store apps to Microsoft Intune
Use the information in this article to help you add iOS store apps to Microsoft Intune. iOS store apps are apps that Intune installs on your users' devices. A user is part of your company's workforce. iOS store apps are automatically updated.
Although users of iOS/iPadOS devices can remove some built-in iOS/iPadOS apps, such as Stocks and Maps, you cannot use Intune to redeploy those apps. If your users delete these apps, they must go to the App Store and manually reinstall them.
Before you start
You can assign apps by using this method only if they are free of charge in the App Store. If you want to assign paid apps by using Intune, consider using the iOS/iPadOS volume-purchase program.
When you work with Microsoft Intune, we recommend that you use either the Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browser.
Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center.
Select Apps > All apps > Add.
In the Select app type pane, under the available Store app types, select iOS store app.
The Add app steps are displayed.
Select Search the App Store.
In the Search the App Store pane, select the App Store country/region locale.
In the Search box, type the name (or part of the name) of the app.
Intune searches the store and returns a list of relevant results.
In the results list, select the app you want, and then select Select.
The App information page will be displayed in the Add app pane. When possible, app information will be added based on the app you selected from the store.
In the App information page, add the app details. Depending on the app you have chosen, some of the values in this pane might have been automatically filled in:
- Name: Enter the name of the app as it is to be displayed in the company portal. Make sure that any app name that you use is unique. If an app name is duplicated, only one name is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Description: Enter a description for the app. This description is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Publisher: Enter the name of the publisher of the app.
- Appstore URL: Type the App Store URL of the app that you want to create.
- Minimum operating system: In the list, select the earliest operating system version on which the app can be installed. If you assign the app to a device with an earlier operating system, it will not be installed.
- Applicable device type: In the list, select the devices that are used by the app.
- Category: Optionally, select one or more of the built-in app categories, or a category that you created. Doing so makes it easier for users to find the app when they browse the company portal.
- Show this as a featured app in the Company Portal: Select this option to display the app suite prominently on the main page of the company portal when users browse for apps.
- Information URL: Optionally, enter the URL of a website that contains information about this app. The URL is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Privacy URL: Optionally, enter the URL of a website that contains privacy information for this app. The URL is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Developer: Optionally, enter the name of the app developer. This field is visible only to administrators and is not visible to your users.
- Owner: Optionally, enter a name for the owner of this app, for example, HR department. This field is visible only to administrators and is not visible to your users.
- Notes: Optionally, enter any notes that you want to associate with this app. This field is only visible an administrator and will not be visible to end users.
- Logo: Optionally, upload an icon that will be associated with the app. This icon is displayed with the app when users browse the company portal.
Click Next to display the Scope tags page.
Click Select scope tags to optionally add scope tags for the app. For more information, see Use role-based access control (RBAC) and scope tags for distributed IT.
Click Next to display the Assignments page.
Select the group assignments for the app. For more information, see Add groups to organize users and devices.
Click Next to display the Review + create page. Review the values and settings you entered for the app.
When you are done, click Create to add the app to Intune.
The Overview blade of the app you've created is displayed.