Prevent data loss with DLP
Data loss prevention policies help identify and protect your business's sensitive information, such as Social Security numbers or medical records.
- To get started, go to the admin center, and select Setup.
- Scroll down to Set up data loss prevention, and then select View, and then Manage.
- To edit a policy, select it, choose Edit policy, then select what to change. For example, select Locations to change what gets scanned.
- To enable scanning for content in Microsoft Teams, turn the toggle switch to the On position, and then select Save.
- To edit policy settings, select Edit.
- You'll need to set separate rules that apply to small and large amounts of sensitive content detected. Expand your low volume rule. Choose Edit rule.
- Review your settings and adjust them as needed. For example, you can choose to Customize the email text and Customize the policy tip text. Select Save.
- Repeat for the high volume rule. Select Save, and then Close.
- To create a new policy, select Create a policy.
- You can create a custom policy or start with a template. For example, to create a HIPAA policy, select the Medical and health template, and then select U.S. Health Insurance Act (HIPAA). Select Next.
- Enter a name and description for your policy. Select Next.
- Choose the locations to scan. Select Next.
- Choose the type of content you want protected. Select Next.
- Choose what you want to happen if sensitive information is detected. Select Next.
- Customize your access and override permissions. Select Next.
- Choose when you want the policy to take effect. Select Next.
- Review your settings, and select Create. After your policy takes effect, email that contains the described sensitive information will be blocked, and the sender who attempted to send that information will see a warning message.