Overview of the Contoso Corporation
The Contoso Corporation is a multi-national business with headquarters in Paris, France. It is a conglomerate manufacturing, sales, and support organization with over 100,000 products.
Contoso around the world
Figure 1 shows the headquarters office in Paris and regional hub and satellite offices in various continents.
Figure 1: Contoso's offices around the world
Contoso's offices around the world follow a three-tier design.
The Contoso Corporation headquarters is a large corporate campus on the outskirts of Paris with dozens of buildings for administrative, engineering, and manufacturing facilities. All of Contoso's datacenters and its Internet presence are housed in the Paris headquarters.
The headquarters has 25,000 workers.
Regional hub offices serve a specific region of the world with 60% sales and support staff. Each regional hub is connected to the Paris headquarters with a high-bandwidth WAN link.
Each regional hub has an average of 2,000 workers.
Satellite offices contain 80% sales and support staff and provide an on-site presence for Contoso customers in key cities or sub-regions. Each satellite office is connected to a regional hub with a high-bandwidth WAN link.
Each satellite office has an average of 250 workers.
25% of Contoso's workforce is mobile-only, with a higher percentage of mobile-only workers in the regional hubs and satellite offices. Providing better support for mobile-only workers is an important business goal for Contoso.
Design considerations for Microsoft 365 Enterprise
Contoso's IT architects identified the following design requirements and considerations when deploying Microsoft 365 Enterprise:
- Multiple geographic locations with local regulations and compliance requirements
- A central intranet datacenter in the headquarters office and regional application servers that host internal line of business applications
- An existing Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager infrastructure
- A mix of client computing devices, including Windows, Mac, and Linux
- A mix of personal and company-owned mobile devices, including iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android smart phones and tablets
- Many remote and mobile workers
- Many business partners
- A large amount of customer and personally identifiable information
- A large amount of high-value intellectual property in the form of design specifications for products and manufacturing trade secrets
Learn about the Contoso Corporation’s on-premises IT infrastructure and how their business needs were addressed with Microsoft 365 Enterprise.