User Presence in Teams
Presence is part of a user’s profile in Microsoft Teams (and throughout Office 365) – and indicates the user’s current availability and status to other users in the organization. By default, anyone in your organization using Teams can see whether or not other users are available online.
Presence states in Teams
The user presence states available in Teams are:
|User configured||App configured|
|Available, Out of Office|
|In a call|
|In a meeting|
|In a call, out of office|
|Do not disturb|
|Away Last Seen time|
|Be right back|
|Out of Office|
Users can manually set their current presence state to some options, and their state gets reflected to all other users. Additional user presence details are also automatically updated based on user activity (such as Available or Away), Outlook calendar states (such as In a meeting), or Teams app states (In a call, Presenting), to states that are indented in the list.
There is a 15 minute inactivity timeout, after which your users' current presence state will be reset to Away.
Users can specify who can break through (contact them overriding a Do Not Disturb setting). These settings are available in-app.
Teams is not Skype for Business
The following Admin settings in Skype for Business are different in Teams:
- Presence sharing is always enabled in Teams for users in the organization. Privacy (deciding who can see Presence) configuration is not available in Teams.
- Presence sharing with everyone (including Federated services) is always enabled for users in Teams. Their contact list (if they had one in SfB) is visible under Chat > Contacts or under Calls > Contacts.
- Client Do Not Disturb and Breakthrough features are always enabled for users in Teams.
- Calendar (includes OOF & other calendar info) integration is always enabled for users in Teams if integrated with Outlook.
- The Last seen or Away since (if in a dual environment with Skype for Business) indicator is always enabled for users in Teams.
The ability of a Teams Admin to customize these settings is not currently supported.
Coexistence with Skype for Business
See Coexistence with Skype for Business for details on how Teams presence functions when coexisting with Skype for Business.
Send feedback about: