How to install and maintain Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) from a network share
Office 365 ProPlus is being renamed to Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise. For more information about this change, read this blog post.
If you want to install and start Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) from a shared location on a network instead of the default internet location, don't use the download link in the About the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant article. Instead, follow these steps.
Download SaRA by using the following link:
In the downloaded file, extract the files from the ClickOnce folder to a shared network folder.
Install the SaRA tool. You can install it either at a command prompt or manually.
- Select Start, type cmd, and then press Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
- Type the path to SaraSetup.exe, and then press Enter.
- You can use the quiet switch (/q or /quiet) to run Setup without any user interaction or user interface. For example, see the following screenshot. If the /q (or /quiet) switch is used, SaraSetup.exe runs in the background.
- To run the installation and see output from the setup process in the Command Prompt window, use /d or /debug instead of /q (or /quiet) at the command prompt. For example, see the following screenshot.
- Use the /?, /h, or /help switches to display the following window that shows all available command-line switches for SaraSetup.exe. If SaRA is installed by using the /q, /quiet, /d, or /debug switches, the End User License Agreement (EULA) is displayed when the Support and Recovery Assistant is started for the first time.
To manually install the SaRA tool, follow these steps:
- On the computer on which you want to install SaRA, browse to the shared folder.
- Double-click SaraSetup.exe.
- Select Install.
- Wait for the download and installation process to finish.
- After the installation is complete, and the End User License agreement has been accepted, the first Support and Recovery screen will be displayed.
Maintaining the SaRA installation folder and updating SaRA
The files for SaRA are updated regularly. You should update the SaRA files on the network share so that SaRA installations use the latest files. To keep your SaRA files up-to-date, follow these steps:
- Download SaRA by using the link that is provided in the "Installing SaRA" section.
- In the downloaded file, extract the program files from the ClickOnce folder.
- Replace the existing program files in your shared network folder with the new extracted files.
Any computer that has SaRA already installed can now be updated by using the following steps. New installations of SaRA will also use the version that is available on the network share.
Start SaRA on a computer on which it's already installed.
Select OK, and wait for the update to finish.
SaRA is now installed and ready to run troubleshooting scenarios.
SaRA version history
One or two times a month, a new build of SaRA is available through the download link that is provided at the beginning of this article. To keep SaRA updated to have the latest version, we recommend that you follow the steps in the "Maintaining the SaRA installation folder and updating SaRA" section every month.
The following table provides the versions of SaRA that were made available on the specified date.
|Release date||SaRA version|
|October 7, 2021||17.00.7332.000|
|July 12, 2021||17.00.6880.004|
|June 30, 2021||17.00.6805.016|
|March 16, 2021||17.00.6271.008|
|February 11, 2021||17.00.6125.006|
|January 25, 2021||17.00.5991.013|
|November 11, 2020||17.00.5665.007|
|October 20, 2020||17.00.5555.000|
|September 24, 2020||17.00.5390.006|
|September 15, 2020||17.00.5275.009|
|July 24, 2020||17.00.5057.004|
|July 2, 2020||17.00.4949.009|
|June 11, 2020||17.00.4840.008|
|May 28, 2020||17.00.4732.006|
|April 23, 2020||17.00.4589.001|
|April 6, 2020||17.00.4478.003|
|March 20, 2020||17.00.4376.007|
|March 11, 2020||17.00.4376.002|
|February 27, 2020||17.00.4304.006|
|February 5, 2020||17.00.4163.010|
|January 14, 2020||17.00.4058.000|
|December 9, 2019||17.00.3891.009|
|December 2, 2019||17.00.3711.012|
Still need help? Go to Microsoft Community.